Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5.0 question?

jager420

gotta love an old ford
I'm converting my truck from the 4.9 to the 5.0 came I use the wiring harness from the 4.9 on the 5.0 or do I need a whole new harness? Sorry for the noob question

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I'm converting my truck from the 4.9 to the 5.0 came I use the wiring harness from the 4.9 on the 5.0 or do I need a whole new harness? Sorry for the noob question

new harness... need 8 injector wirings, not 6... also need alot more wire so it'll fully fit over the top of the V8....

and dont worry, its ok to ask these questions, not everyone knows them... so its all a learning experience...

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
What year ?

If get a pre 93 harness its batch injection might be ok only 4 injectors at time (I think 3-00-6 is 3 at time) You possibly will just need engine harness but doubt it . . Newer And with maf r allot more fun .

Need ecu for your motor trans combo and harness from ecu out be way easier swap than repin good . Radiator,shroud ,mounts ,flywheel depending on trans

Good luck

jager420

gotta love an old ford
its an 89 f150, but the 5.0 is coming outta a 1990 f150, i have all the harnesses for the 5.0 just wanted to know if i needed all of them

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
keep in mind you will have to do something different with the fuel pumps. The 6 is 65 lbs, the 8 is 45 lbs. The 89 uses a lift pump in each tank, and one high pressure fuel pump in the rail. The 90 uses one fuel delivery module for each tank.

jager420

gotta love an old ford
I was gonna replace both tanks and replace them with brand new tanks for a 5.0 , and the parts company in my area sell the tanks with all the fuel components together for 150 bucks. But I have another question to ask, me and my buddy were talking and the 5.0 has dual air intake, I wanna run a K&N cold air intake on one intake, and on the other run a turbo off the other, my question would be is this a terrible idea and what are the pros and cons of it. I think it would give the truck some more HP

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
keep in mind you will have to do something different with the fuel pumps. The 6 is 65 lbs, the 8 is 45 lbs. The 89 uses a lift pump in each tank, and one high pressure fuel pump in the rail. The 90 uses one fuel delivery module for each tank.

Shouldn't have to do anything with the pumps since the rail mounted pressure regulator will take care of that.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I was gonna replace both tanks and replace them with brand new tanks for a 5.0 , and the parts company in my area sell the tanks with all the fuel components together for 150 bucks. But I have another question to ask, me and my buddy were talking and the 5.0 has dual air intake, I wanna run a K&N cold air intake on one intake, and on the other run a turbo off the other, my question would be is this a terrible idea and what are the pros and cons of it. I think it would give the truck some more HP

Tanks are tanks are tanks. It wouldn't be fiscally responsible for an automaker to have a different set of fuel tanks for every engine available in something mass-produced. The K&N CAI is a waste of money IMHO, others will argue but to me it's not pulling in anything but hot air at velocity. So, if I'm reading this correctly you want to run naturally aspirated from one blade of the throttlebody and forced induction on the other? In short....NO, if you wanna run a turbo then run a a turbo but doing it the way you described will most likely cause nothing but headaches.

runing a turbo that way will not give you any power. all your boost will blow out thru the other blade of the throttle body.
I had a 1/2" slice in a boost coupling, lost all 35+lbs of boost on my truck when it happend. a 2" throttle body hole will let all the boost out.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts