Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

400 to 460 (Finally!!!) (56K warning)

Looks good Chris. I just swapped my 400 for a 460 not long ago. Are you going to do anything to the 460 before you install it? A straight up timming chain set up would be a good inexpensive mod and much easier to do while the motor is out. Good luck with the rest of your swap.

Last edited:
So Chris...you gonna run into any frame issues? Some guys say yeah, others say no. I don't really see an issue except for with exhaust manis/headers. And what are you gonna do with the left over truck? Parts?

You will have problems with brackets and accessories hitting on the frame in a 3/4 ton 4x4 but I don't know about 1/2 tons though.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You will have problems with brackets and accessories hitting on the frame in a 3/4 ton 4x4 but I don't know about 1/2 tons though.

Yeah...didn't realize it was a 150 to 150 swap...for some reason I always think his truck is a 250.

Looks good Chris. I just swapped my 400 for a 460 not long ago. Are you going to do anything to the 460 before you install it? A straight up timming chain set up would be a good inexpensive mod and much easier to do while the motor is out. Good luck with the rest of your swap.
If the motor weren't as fresh as it is, i would do some things like that, but the motor was relatively fresh, and done by a professional engine builder in town, so im not gunna worry about it.

Yeah...didn't realize it was a 150 to 150 swap...for some reason I always think his truck is a 250.
Its a 150 to 150, like ben said, so no worries on bracket fit
Looks good man. It's always cool to see someone go to the 460.

Thanks. im real pumped on the swap. In my circle of friends/acquaintances, I only know of one guy in town thats done this to a half ton, any he kinda did it on the cheap, so im kinda proud to say ill have one of the few right ones in town

Ok heres the update:

untitled.jpg

Here is the truck on the rack, where i removed the t case, linkages, drive lines, loosened motor mounts, exhaust, ect.

400pull2.jpg

Here is the forklift, hooked up to the motor

400pull.jpg

Another forklift pic...

blueenginepull.jpg

And its out!!!

bluebay.jpg

Ahhhhh..... much better

4003.jpg

Still cant decide what im gunna do with the motor and trans. they are both in dire need of rebuild.

460400sbs.jpg

Can you tell which is which?

And thats where im at now. im ordering motor mounts in the morning, and when they coe in, the motor goes in. I decided on the JBG ones.

Dang looking at these pics, no wonder i spent $1000 to get some good looking wheels and tires.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Looks good man...if I were you, I'd part out a few things on the 400...then sell it as a short block or scrap it.

I figure:

VC's- $20
Balancer- 15-20
Tstat housing-10
Oil pan- 20
Intake/carb- 30
mani's-25

But that's only if it's worth your time and you have somewhere to store them.

Looks good man...if I were you, I'd part out a few things on the 400...then sell it as a short block or scrap it.

I figure:

VC's- $20
Balancer- 15-20
Tstat housing-10
Oil pan- 20
Intake/carb- 30
mani's-25

But that's only if it's worth your time and you have somewhere to store them.

I thought about that, and it is an option, since i do have a place to store them. idk yet. i wouldnt mind saving up the money and doing a proper rebuild, just so i can say i have the numbers matching block

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I thought about that, and it is an option, since i do have a place to store them. idk yet. i wouldnt mind saving up the money and doing a proper rebuild, just so i can say i have the numbers matching block

Dunno that I would rebuild it yet, and not have anything to put it in.. but having the numbers matching block could be a plus later down the road..

Dunno that I would rebuild it yet, and not have anything to put it in.. but having the numbers matching block could be a plus later down the road..

Definately. amd it aint taking up much room, so i think im just gunna hang onto it

Id rebuild it then store it somewhere then if ya need it in a pinch youll have it and just have to break it in.

Thats what i was thinking. But anything like that will have to wait, since this swap already has about broke me

I took the interior out so i could get the top of the tunnel off, and my interior came out in about 4 pieces, so now i got to buy that. another $150. WOOPEE!!!!

Ok, not a whole lot of progress today. I got the motor mounts ordered this morning. This afternoon i took out the clutch pedal assembly from the green truck, went to put it in the blue truck, and realized the brackets are different. So tomorrow ive got to take both columns out, swap over my steering wheel, maybe a coat of paint on the column, swap that bracket, and put it all back together. Im hoping the wiring is the same for both columns. the mounts got priority mail, so they should be here friday. That means this weekend, i should drop in the new motor

Wiring was the same. One extra wire for the light on the selector. Got the column painted and in. Got the motor in late last night. JBG mounts worked great. No complaints there. Trans will bolt up fine, so after a bit ill go down to the shop and work on that more. Ill get pics loaded up prolly tomorrow

460goinin.jpg

AND......

460goinin2.jpg

ITS.......

460in.jpg

IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

460in2.jpg

And one more pic

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts