Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351w cams?

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I haven't picked a cam yet so I'm just going to have him put stockers back on. When I figure out a cam and get the machine work done on the block, I'll get it figured out. The stock springs are only $50.

Ryan

BIGRED911

Charter Member
Once I get the cummins runnin again, depending on how much I end up spending, I'm.selling the dudge and buying my grandmothers 92 f150 long bed 4x4 5.8(injected 351) auto, only has 68,000 miles on it...most of those were from me, it was my (first) vehicle when I got my license..only had 36,000 on it then...its had a rough life, I was fairly hard on it but never broke nothing( put a tach on it, did a wfo burn out and took it off, scared myself that it rapped 9500 rpm and never missed a beat..) my brother took it over after I got big red and turned it into a farm truck...gma thought she wanted to sell it here a while back, I said no, its got too much sentimental value to me, I was with grandpa the day they bought it and we went muddin on the way home from the dealership, grandpa was riding with me the day I got my license and asked me if we could go muddin again!....

I wanna fix the old girl up, she's been good to me, my turn to do the same for her...new (lifted?) Suspension..new tires, alil body work, new fuel tank, exhaust, and I wanna do some mild motor work...she was the fastest vehicle in the high-school parking lot when I was in school, amidst some big block chebbys, mustangs, and dudge 360s....

It'll be my get around truck when I'm home, huntin fishin n farm truck...farthest its gunna go is maybe kirksville(40 mile round trip)...with 30.5-9.5/15 liberator ats on it, in 4x4 it'll go through stuff you wouldn't expect it to, combination of light weight and high rpm a good set of tires n it'd never get stuck!...ill post pics if when I had her in hs when I find em...and the before during and after as well...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
Comp Cams recommended this camshaft if I want to retain speed density:

35-349-8 Xtreme Energy

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=1053&sb=2

Ryan

get a custom ground cam for not a whole lot more. Comp cam's grinds have to much variance in the grind, it can be spec'd for X amount and be lower or higher pretty often..

places that grind cams can set you up with the perfect grind for what your wanting to do and it'll be dead on spec wise..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
get a custom ground cam for not a whole lot more. Comp cam's grinds have to much variance in the grind, it can be spec'd for X amount and be lower or higher pretty often..

places that grind cams can set you up with the perfect grind for what your wanting to do and it'll be dead on spec wise..

********....show me some hard facts on that please.

I don't know anyone who grinds cams, and I wouldn't even know what to tell them. "Custom" means custom, not good.

Ryan

A few companies do, some will work with you through the their tech department to help.

Last edited:
If you're keeping the stock EFI system you have no choice but to keep the stock 19lb injectors.. the computer simply can't adapt to anything else. But 300hp is easy enough because the computer will push them well beyond 80% dutycycle if necessary.. though obviously you don't want them at 100% for more than a split second, and a fair bit more than that is possible by simply increasing the base fuel pressure. This effectively makes them behave as a larger injector, the Stang crowd have been doing this for a long time, there are guys out there with SD EFI mustangs running stock 19lb injectors that make upwards of 350hp.

The other issue you have is that computer controlled E4OD which makes going mass air a rather complicated job, you pretty much only have two choices.. find a MAF/E4OD computer for a 5.0 or 5.8 and modify the engine wiring harness to add the necessary wires, or swap in a manual or non-electronic auto trans and use/build one of the early MAF conversions utilizing the Mustang EEC, and this too will require additional wiring of course. There is no easy way to utilize a MAF truck harness either, changing the engine portion is simple enough but you also have to add wires from those block connectors back to the computer and that part of the harness is integrated with the chassis harness so there will be cutting and splicing which makes it a hack job, so you're better off just adding the extra wires seperately.

That said.. the stock 5.8 intake is going to be a pretty good bottleneck on the motor once those heads are installed so you're in no danger of exceeding 300hp, so maybe consider upgrading to a Typhoon or Eddy Performer at a later date.

The Comp 35-349-8 is a good selection though it will depend how you intend to use the truck, this cam will make decent TQ with 351+ cubes under it but if you want more grunt at lower rpms there are better options. Incidentally I have that cam in my 5.0 and it measured bang on with the specs, mistakes can happen no two 2 cams will measure exactly the same.. that's production tolerances, but generally you should get what you order. And concerning the power of this cam... in a 5.0 it's mostly mid to topend but that's the character of this motor.. it's really not big enough for a 5000lb truck.

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
So Paul,

I went to the junkyard and pulled all of the mass air flow equipment off a 1995 5.0. I literally have the entire wiring harness from the truck that goes from the ECU to the head lights. My only stumbling block now is to find a computer that will be happy with the 5.8 and E4OD. I have a question for you.

Would you be comfortable running a 5.0/E4OD computer with MAF? Will this choke it at all? I'd really like your advice on this set up. Those computers are significantly easier to locate than the 5.8/E4OD with MAF. Can I not use larger injectors so when the computer tries to over compensate, the injectors will at least be in a safe range of operation?

Ryan

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
So Paul,

I went to the junkyard and pulled all of the mass air flow equipment off a 1995 5.0. I literally have the entire wiring harness from the truck that goes from the ECU to the head lights. My only stumbling block now is to find a computer that will be happy with the 5.8 and E4OD. I have a question for you.

Would you be comfortable running a 5.0/E4OD computer with MAF? Will this choke it at all? I'd really like your advice on this set up. Those computers are significantly easier to locate than the 5.8/E4OD with MAF. Can I not use larger injectors so when the computer tries to over compensate, the injectors will at least be in a safe range of operation?

Ryan

5.0 computer will be fine.. it'll just be a minor touch lean above 4k. but not noticable. and the injectors will compensate for the most part.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If that's the case, I shouldn't have to repin ANYTHING.

I should probably still try to find a 351 computer. I bet it would run a little less lean and have more room to grow.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
It depends also on whether the injectors are a batch fire or sequential fire. I'm not familiar enough with the system to say one way or another.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Put a carb on it and pick the cam/intake you want, problem solved, cheaply I might add. :wasntme:

Would you be comfortable running a 5.0/E4OD computer with MAF?
Absolutely.

Will this choke it at all?
Not in the least.

Can I not use larger injectors
Yes and no, the right way to utilize them would be with a tuner but you could also utilize a MAF meter that is scaled for these larger squirters.. though that really only works as intended at WOT. IMO neither is gong to be needed here, once the computer has had some time to adjust to the engines requirments it'll run as well as it's going to. My 5.8 ran absolutely beautifully on an untuned 5.0 Mustang EEC.

The lower portion of the 5.8 truck intake it the worst section, sharp kinks and small(for the displacement) ports. You could improve this quite a bit if you spent some time on it with a dremmel or die grinder, the last inch of the ports where they meet the heads need to be opened up and you could also straigten the doglegs a little.

Put a carb on it and pick the cam/intake you want, problem solved, cheaply I might add. :wasntme:

Yeah.. but then he needs to swap transmission too. So much for being cheap or easy.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Picking the shelf grind, or custom grind cam is very easy, the efi and computer are your roadblock at this point. Lift in a street cam is not nearly as important as lobe seperation angle and duration. The efi and injectors are the limiting factor on choosing a LSA and duration that they can support. Static compression ratio and cranking compression ratio are vastly different when setting up a fuel system. You can take identicle lift cams and 1 will detonate its arse off and the other wont. If ther ewas an aftermarket ecm or piggyback ecm, it would be really easy to make a map on a dyno and "make the cam work".

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts