Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

302 Cam

I had it running long enough to get fully warmed up last night, it sounded good but it's got a few issues i need to track down. It won't idle worth a damn, I have 1 known good TFI module and 1 known bad one.. and I may have mixed them up so I'm gonna swap them out. I'm getting codes for the TAD solenid and Canister purge solenoid, the TAD is there and connected so maybe it's bad, but this truck never had a canister purge solenoid so that won't go away unless I get one and connect it. Sometime while I was working on the motor I lost oil pressure signal, it was there when I first started the motor so it's probably the sender or wire, the motor makes no mechanical noise so I'm not worried there is no oil pressure. Overall this swap is not going as smoothly as I would hope but these problems should not be too much to overcome.

Anybody know what the canister purge solenoid looks like and where it's located on these trucks?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Anybody know what the canister purge solenoid looks like and where it's located on these trucks?[/QUOTE]

its an emission crap...
dont know where exactly it is tough
the Vapor canister purge selenoid
getimage.jpg

the Vapor canister purge Valve
getimage1.jpg

the vapor canister
getimage2.jpg

Yeah. my truck only has the charcoal canister as well, the older vehicles never had all the solenoid controls and valves like the newer vehicles. You wanna see what the OBD2 vehicles have... what a mess!!

Speaking of my truck... I changed the TFI module and Oil pressure switch and that cleared those 2 problems, so I took her for a spin around the block a few times. All works well, motor sounds nice, exhaust sounds nice too.. but it's no 351!! Who stole all my TQ?smiliebeenripped Oh.. yeah.. that's right.. I did. Yep... it certainly works better than a stock 302, can actually chirp the tires from a stop and has no problem getting up to legal hwy speeds, but It doesn't have that neck snapping launch any more and it doesn't pull through the gears as fast as the bigger motor. But all that was expected and this is just meant as a stop gap to keep the truck on the road while I build a proper motor for this thing. :devil:

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Yeah. my truck only has the charcoal canister as well, the older vehicles never had all the solenoid controls and valves like the newer vehicles. You wanna see what the OBD2 vehicles have... what a mess!!

Speaking of my truck... I changed the TFI module and Oil pressure switch and that cleared those 2 problems, so I took her for a spin around the block a few times. All works well, motor sounds nice, exhaust sounds nice too.. but it's no 351!! Who stole all my TQ?smiliebeenripped Oh.. yeah.. that's right.. I did. Yep... it certainly works better than a stock 302, can actually chirp the tires from a stop and has no problem getting up to legal hwy speeds, but It doesn't have that neck snapping launch any more and it doesn't pull through the gears as fast as the bigger motor. But all that was expected and this is just meant as a stop gap to keep the truck on the road while I build a proper motor for this thing. :devil:

cool.. and how about drivebility?
can it idle in traffic for a while without overheating? ( big cam )
idle? how is it? lopey ?

you got stockheads ? maybe mine and flaresidethunders will have more power becuase of our gt40heads? )

would you recommend us this cam ?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Paul one question...when you build a windsor for that thing...you gonna wanna sell that cam?I'd be interested in buying it no doubt...I got the torque i just need mid power....

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Paul one question...when you build a windsor for that thing...you gonna wanna sell that cam?I'd be interested in buying it no doubt...I got the torque i just need mid power....

hey Jr.. i was thinking your truck is pretty quick.. with only a gt40 head swap and bigger trottle body.. imagine with a big cam.. becuase the trucks cam is pretty low...

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
nah with the way the cam specs look at .512 lift the rockers would bring it to medium to mid .500's....which might be too much for me to run with PV clearance issues......

Under Construction: '93 F150 XLT X-cab 5.0 HO, Comp XE264, Flowtech LTs, Gt40 Heads, Edelbrock intake / Holley Carb, C6

Hey.. what gives? You selling the GT40 intake? And why the C6 tranny, thought that truck had a stick?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Hey.. what gives? You selling the GT40 intake? And why the C6 tranny, thought that truck had a stick?

jepp im selling the Gt40 intake.. it has a manual.. but a weak mazda 5 speed.. i found a C6 a friend of my dad gave it to me. so im going to use it..

and yepp im going carbed.. .. and maybeeeee im going to put the engine in a 1978 F150 ranger i just found soo.. im keeping the 302 carbed / C6 combo.. but switching body styles... chek out my other post...

HEY JR?? interested in a Flowtech Lt's? i bought a pair... but i fell inlove withthise old 1978 F150 rranger.. and im selling the flowtech LTs

they fit 1985 to 1996 5.0's F150's F250's broncos

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Almost didn't notice the thing at the bottom for me...and I'd love to but I'm strapped fer cash as of right now and the shipping would probly take for ever...the LT's might get kidnapped.Hell if you're gonna do that send me the harness and the upper intake too..the Mazda tranny isn't as weak as everyone thinks....I've seen them put through hell come back then put through hell 3 more times and are still thriving and asking is that all you got?The c6 is alright but it won't give you the ratios you want......How much for the LT's with shipping to 32778 USA?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
dont know.. i will letyou know.. i found out that they can fit my 5.8 in my 1990 .. am i right Paul can a 5.0 headers fit a 5.8 ? ? ?

and how is the truck running paul any updates? how does it idle? lopey ? normal ? agressive? tell ussss:D

OK.. you guys would love this thing... it idles like a drag car!! BUT.. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that, this is way too mild a cam for a mass air computer to have trouble with so I still have a problem to track down. The reason I believe this is because the 5.8 developed some trouble idling just before it came out so I think there is a bad vacuum leak in the dash or cruise control actuator or something that I need to find. Coincidentially the cruise doesn't work anymore so that will be my first target.

About the headers. 5.0 headers will bolt to a 5.8.. they use the same heads afterall, but the bigger motor is taller and wider so you will have frame and driveshaft interference problems. How bad I couldn't say, it's worth a look if you have them anyway but this is the reason thay make two different headers for these motors.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
OK.. you guys would love this thing... it idles like a drag car!! BUT.. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to do that, this is way too mild a cam for a mass air computer to have trouble with so I still have a problem to track down. The reason I believe this is because the 5.8 developed some trouble idling just before it came out so I think there is a bad vacuum leak in the dash or cruise control actuator or something that I need to find. Coincidentially the cruise doesn't work anymore so that will be my first target.

About the headers. 5.0 headers will bolt to a 5.8.. they use the same heads afterall, but the bigger motor is taller and wider so you will have frame and driveshaft interference problems. How bad I couldn't say, it's worth a look if you have them anyway but this is the reason thay make two different headers for these motors.

ohh ok nice..!
keep us updated.. any 0-60 times or 0-100 or any vidoes? thanks... btw your using stock e7' heads right?

I have a sound clip/video of the truck parked in the driveway with the 5.8 engine starting and reving briefly, I took this just after I installed the big exhaust last year.. but damned if I can find it. The 5.0 sounds almost exactly the same in my opinion.. and it should since the exhaust hasn't changed.

This 5.0 can be considered a box stock 5.0 roller motor except for the cam, the bottom end is 40 thou overbore and it wasn't a roller motor to start with, I salvaged the lifters and spider assembly from the scrapyard and swapped it into this block.

I haven't done an official 0-60 time yet but I know it's not as fast as the 5.8, it just doesn't have the TQ. Yes 50 cubic inches makes a really big difference in grunt.. believe me. That said the cam seems to work good and it doesn't bog or seem needlessly weak at any rpm from idle up, it just doesn't pull like a 5.8, more gearing would certainly help a lot!

P.S. Sound clip here.. http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/46950aa...ruckTunes.wmv?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts