Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2011 Ford F-Series Super Duty: First Drive

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
You are entitled to your opinion just as I am. Can you then give me good explanation as to why all manufacturers are leaning towards automatics?...last time I checked, manufacturers tend to go with the less overall expensive route.
Edit....just to clarify....I'm referring to our trucks and larger.

Well... let's be a bunch of economists. Yes AND no. :rofl:

Autos are all that's selling, plain and simple. You look at the sales numbers and the story tells itself.

A manual transmission is cheaper to design (in total dollars) and maintain (assuming mass production) ignoring regulatory costs that Ernie was talking about.

The real world, though, shows that design & R&D costs have to be distributed over the number of units sold and marginal costs for this are higher on a manual (in relation to their very low sales). The cost of maintenance will still be lower as long as the parts don't become too scarce. But the regulatory costs are still there to be wrastled with....

It's much easier to justify an automatic from a manufacturing standpoint, especially considering market demands.

Ryan

edit: I think you were asking rhetorically duncan but I thought I'd flesh it out the way I see it from my cranium.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK

Autos are all that's selling, plain and simple. You look at the sales numbers and the story tells itself.

A manual transmission is cheaper to design (in total dollars) and maintain (assuming mass production) ignoring regulatory costs that Ernie was talking about.

The real world, though, shows that design & R&D costs have to be distributed over the number of units sold and marginal costs for this are higher on a manual (in relation to their very low sales). The cost of maintenance will still be lower as long as the parts don't become too scarce. But the regulatory costs are still there to be wrastled with....

It's much easier to justify an automatic from a manufacturing standpoint, especially considering market demands.

Ryan

edit: I think you were asking rhetorically duncan but I thought I'd flesh it out the way I see it from my cranium.

Well I posted my rebuttal, but here is you college edgumacited answer. :spank:

Please don't ban me Ryan. smilieeatndrink

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Well Duncan, you are partially right. Manufacturers tend to go with what sells, and as Ernie elated to 3% does not justify the certs or line changes in production to support a market that just does not exist. However, sometimes those markets are skewed as in the U.S. we live in a now society. I would venture to say that the marketing data is skewed and if 15% SD's were on the lot equipped with Manuals they would all sell. I know that I would have bought one if it were "on the lot" available in what I bought last go around. I was not willing to not be able to negotiate the price for a "custom buld" unit that was not lot rotting like the one I am driving now, due to the 09's arriving. Just another perspective.

And on edit, the fact that I am currently driving an 03 6.0 with a 5 speed that has 170K and not had a clutch put in it kinda leans twards Chris' argument. Truth be told, the gearbox fluid probably has never been changed. A worked torqshift will not see 100K without a failure if the fluid and filters are not at least partialy (fluid volume) changed ever 30K. At $8 pluss per quart plus labor adds up pretty quick, usually to the tune of about $300 per 30K miles. No clutch, no fluid change ($40 max if you used a top quality synthetic in a gearbox) at 170, is alot of money spent on other maintenance items like on time oil changes, on time fuel filter changes and on time air filter changes. Remember Fleet managers always weigh 1 major tearup versus 50 marginal savings on regular services. Been there done that and have the medal for it.

You have your opinion and experiences, I have my own.

Ryan

Yep.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
^^That was nasty Ryan..:rofl: :rofl:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Another reason why automatics can be more favorable is because they help towing capabilities in these trucks. The torque converter is allowed to slip at lower speeds which brings the engine further into it's torque curve to help get loads moving. This is why you will see automatic trucks with higher trailer ratings than manual trucks. Desirable for a consumer buying a truck for obvious reasons-- desirable for a manufacturer because they can make the trucks look more capable by only showing the automatic's tow rating.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
It's just another way for Ford to push their faithful consumers away....next thing you know they'll have a arm suspension on the 3/4 ton up 4wds....

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
kindof like your truck?

sport_truck_wallpapers+purple_escalade_truck_z.jpg

Ryan
No that is a shortbed, with a Texas Plate, definately not my truck, might be someone elses on here, but not mine.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I read his sig, but WTH is a "Lariet"? Is it kind of like a "Lariat"?

:p

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Lord knows I'm too lazy to break out the OED, but isn't "lariat" derived from the French as well?

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
I read his sig, but WTH is a "Lariet"? Is it kind of like a "Lariat"?

:p
Moderator FAIL, that has been my sig line since june of 2008, well better late than never.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Wouldn't it be Spanish or Mexican?...I don't know.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Moderator FAIL, that has been my sig line since june of 2008, well better late than never.

Are you suggesting I never noticed it? You'd be wrong...I just never pointed it out, because it never came up.

I'm a moderator, not an editor. If members want to misspell their signatures, that's their choice...:p

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts