Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2011 Ford F-Series Super Duty: First Drive

The in-dash display shows instantaneous as well as average mileage, and diving it normally I saw between 18 and 19.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Sweet. If I needed something like that, I wouldn't hesitate.

Steve, are your comments under an embargo? If so, disregard the following questions...

What were your thoughts on:

1) Off idle throttle response

2) Curb appeal/appearance of the restyle

3) Fit and finish

4) Are you tempted, or maybe I should ask, how tempted are you to buy one?

Steve, are your comments under an embargo? If so, disregard the following questions...No - the embargo lifted at 12 eastern on the 8th.

What were your thoughts on:

1) Off idle throttle response - instant...absolutely zero turbo lag. It pulls hard on the low end. Torque converter on the 6R140 locks up from 3rd gear on.

2) Curb appeal/appearance of the restyle - For the majority I love the look, but the grille is going to take a little getting used too.Said the same thing about the '08's when they came out though....now I love that look.

3) Fit and finish - Fantastic...though these demo trucks were certainly gone over with a fine-toothed comb.

4) Are you tempted, or maybe I should ask, how tempted are you to buy one?
If I were in the position to do so, I'd love to buy one.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
Yeah, and it was some tiny, marginal percentage that were ordered with them anyway, its just economics.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that within a few more years, manuals will be pretty much history on these trucks and larger...even the large trucks are available with autos now. I would be hating to drive the 750 around town with a manual...and yes, I have had them...and I prefer an auto all the way around.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that within a few more years, manuals will be pretty much history on these trucks and larger...even the large trucks are available with autos now. I would be hating to drive the 750 around town with a manual...and yes, I have had them...and I prefer an auto all the way around.

I already see it on the Rangers when I look through Classified sites and Ebay.The older the trucks,the more standards there are.But when I look through the 2005-2009's,the majority are automatics.

It'll probably end up like the Longbed Ranger,only available for fleet sales or special use vehicles.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Each transmission has their place and their own favorable crowd.......I'm glad I'm poor...my options are endless with a standard.

I suppose...but when a properly maintained auto will go xxxx+ miles and a manual requires ongoing maintenance, I'd do a comparitive cost analysis and see what what yields the most favorable results.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I suppose...but when a properly maintained auto will go xxxx+ miles and a manual requires ongoing maintenance, I'd do a comparitive cost analysis and see what what yields the most favorable results.
I submit that most manual transmissions will tend to last longer than autos with the same or less amount of maintenance. It really just boils down to how many moving parts each one has, and a manual transmission will ALWAYS have fewer moving parts and generate less heat than an auto.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I already see it on the Rangers when I look through Classified sites and Ebay.The older the trucks,the more standards there are.But when I look through the 2005-2009's,the majority are automatics.

It'll probably end up like the Longbed Ranger,only available for fleet sales or special use vehicles.

Won't even be fleet sales- guess what they buy, almost exclusively?

The big thing here is it costs the manufacturer many millions of $$$'s to certify every engine/transmission combination for EPA and CAFE. If you sell lots- no worries, you can spread out the expense. For low-volume combinations, though, it's the death-knell.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Well Steve, so far all sounds good. It had been rumored that the 6.7 would rival the 7.3 numbers Fuel Mileage wise, and be able to meet the new (hopefully the last for passenger) emissions standards. Which was supposed to happen with the 6.0 (engineering and quality oversights barred it did it) and the 6.4 was just to "get by" until what was learned on the 6.0 and 6.4 to apply it to their own refined design, addressing all the new variables learned with 4 valve heads and commonrail injection, as well as catalyst systems.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
As far as the manual trans argument, Ford using junk clutches pretty much killed them. A good luk clutch solved all the problems and was far less than you would spend trying to make a 7.3 auto even close to as reliable. The torqshift was a vast improvement and in stock engine (un tuned) form barring the 04 snap ring incident are bullet proof with correct maintenance. I digress that 200K miles of services correctly done on a torqshift are way more than you would ever spend on on a manual if you know how to drive a standard.

BTW I have worked on quite a few 7155 Cat semi autos in the army, but never pulled a eaton/fuller 10 speed ever. Cahnged a clutch or 2 after 500K but, hey to each his own.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Ian will be along soon to rep you for that post....:rolling laugh:

I can't even respond to this thread, I'm getting so tongue (or is it finger) tied as I sit here hopping mad, and trying not to cry.

*Seriously. I have a thought to express my feelings. After three failed attempts to express it, I'm giving up. For now.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I submit that most manual transmissions will tend to last longer than autos with the same or less amount of maintenance. It really just boils down to how many moving parts each one has, and a manual transmission will ALWAYS have fewer moving parts and generate less heat than an auto.

You are entitled to your opinion just as I am. Can you then give me good explanation as to why all manufacturers are leaning towards automatics?...last time I checked, manufacturers tend to go with the less overall expensive route.
Edit....just to clarify....I'm referring to our trucks and larger.

Last edited:

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Well Duncan, you are partially right. Manufacturers tend to go with what sells, and as Ernie elated to 3% does not justify the certs or line changes in production to support a market that just does not exist. However, sometimes those markets are skewed as in the U.S. we live in a now society. I would venture to say that the marketing data is skewed and if 15% SD's were on the lot equipped with Manuals they would all sell. I know that I would have bought one if it were "on the lot" available in what I bought last go around. I was not willing to not be able to negotiate the price for a "custom buld" unit that was not lot rotting like the one I am driving now, due to the 09's arriving. Just another perspective.

And on edit, the fact that I am currently driving an 03 6.0 with a 5 speed that has 170K and not had a clutch put in it kinda leans twards Chris' argument. Truth be told, the gearbox fluid probably has never been changed. A worked torqshift will not see 100K without a failure if the fluid and filters are not at least partialy (fluid volume) changed ever 30K. At $8 pluss per quart plus labor adds up pretty quick, usually to the tune of about $300 per 30K miles. No clutch, no fluid change ($40 max if you used a top quality synthetic in a gearbox) at 170, is alot of money spent on other maintenance items like on time oil changes, on time fuel filter changes and on time air filter changes. Remember Fleet managers always weigh 1 major tearup versus 50 marginal savings on regular services. Been there done that and have the medal for it.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts