Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2/4 wd c6 help??

Hi all, I am finally getting to my 79 f150 supercab 4x4 project. I got the box and front clip off, the cab will be next on the list. Upon talking to the prior owner he was saying the c6 was acting up not wanting to go into 3rd gear.
My question is: are the 2 and 4wd c6 trans the same? Meaning can I change the tail shaft out from a good 2wd trans with the 4wd trans tail shaft with the married np 205 transfer case? Or are there internals I need to watch for? [ rear output shaft, rear bolt pattern etc.]
Or will I need to rebuilt this one? I have about 3 good low milage 2wd trans sitting in my parts room and would like to use them if possible.
thanks for your help regards joe

Fellro

Staff member
For the most part, you will do the same job to change it out as you would to just rebuild it. Can it be done, yes, but you have to take everything out to get to it.

Fellro is correct, a c6 is a c6 , the only bad part is the out-put shafts are different from a 2wd to a 4wd. sounds like it may have a bad lip seal thats not allowing pressure to build in the third gear piston and engage the clutch pack. Funny thing is I have rebuilt alot of them and some I have torn down have been trashed in side and was told they shifted fine with no issues. Automatics are unique creatures.

Thanks guys yes I think a rebuild is in order as I will be keeping this one for my self. I am not sure but if I recall the c6 goes for about $1000 to build with a shift kit in this area. I guess I need to see the piggy bank later lol.
And thanks to Adam for the correct frame mounts I can finally get those ugly broken red neck back yard home made thingys out of there and do it right.

full time 4wd

All right guys some help please . I just bought 77 f150 sight unseen the truck needed alot or work but after I got it home I found out that ot is a full time 4wd my question is this can I just put locking hubs on it(agood freind suggested this) will it allow me to work in 2wd locking the hubs for 4wd or do I need to get a different transfer case? Its an automatic c6 with just 4hi to 4lo shifting pattern. Dont want to run 4x4 all the time . Its got a 400 (351m) engine and im not to sharp on it always thought was a stationwagon engine n never bothered with it too much can someone give me some info on the difference between the modified 351 and the windsor 351 on the potential for more hp and throttle response

So your truck has the new process 203 and yes you can put manual hubd in but the t-case will still be operating just with out putting power to the front wheels because they wont be engaged. I have always just swapped out the 203 for the 205 but thats me. as for the 351M vs 351w, the 351W is a small block so that is the main difference, I like the 351M and 400 but i wish there were more aftermarket parts for that engine family, the ones i have owned and rebuilt have been good .

Fellro

Staff member
Full time means exactly that, full time. If you put locking hubs on it and shift into 2wd, you will find it won't move. They do make conversion kits for the 203 to be part time, if you can still find them. Otherwise swap it out.

As to the difference between the 35w and the 351M-400 motors, nothing is similar. The 351M-400's can be made into quite a good motor, but there are a few things to do, which really isn't anything extraordinary really. They were smog motors, so from the factory they had some issues as they were trying to live in a new world that wasn't as conducive to building power. Many will tell you the 400 is better to have than a 351M due to the stroke. The one thing they do have is torque when you let them breathe right.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts