Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1997 wrangler engine swap

What engine for a 97 tj?

• Total voters

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
300 won't fit, Ford 3.0/4.0 V6s suck compared to the 4.0 I-6 the Jeeps have. 302 would be a good choice 347 would be better.

4bt cummins is an awesome engine in a wrangler, but aren't cheap on average.

Probably the best bet is go with a SBC purely on the basis of CHEAP to build and everybody has done it to their Jeep when wanting more power...

Eric, it's a TJ. No way, no how are you going to fit a V-anything under the hood without major (translated: expensive) surgery. That thing was designed strictly for one of two in-line motors. The older CJ's took a SBC no problemo. EDIT: Ford 302 presents a space issue. Get out a tape measure- it's got pretty broad shoulders compared to a SBC. tight fit- if it even will. Chebbie will just about bolt in though.

re: Cummins. You guys swap, I'll laugh my azz off the first time that thing buries it's nose into the mud from the weight of that motor. Jeeps are God's gift to trail rigs. They aren't, nor do they pretend to be, trucks.

Nick's got a 95 (?) YJ with the inline four. Put some gears in it, and it'll work just fine, even with a lift and decent tires on it. That little rig has embarassed plenty of big-azz motored trucks out in the woods. Also earned him a whopping ticket winching himself out on an unmarked trail in the Tillamook Burn. Other than that, it's about bombproof, and gets decent fuel mileage.

Jeep 4.0 is the best option if he has to do a swap. After you see how much that'd cost, though, it'd be cheaper to just buy one with that motor in it to begin with.

Last edited:
We looked it over some more and I think we are going to look into some power upgrades for the 4 cyl, and maybe gear it down a little.

Side bar, we were playing around with it and found out it has front and rear selectable lockers. I don't think the dealer knew they were there

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
We looked it over some more and I think we are going to look into some power upgrades for the 4 cyl, and maybe gear it down a little.

Side bar, we were playing around with it and found out it has front and rear selectable lockers. I don't think the dealer knew they were there

Sure that isn't factory? Std on the Rubicons, but I think they were optional on the Sahara's. Damn- that thing should be about unstoppable.

Kids buddy's dad owns Dutchman Motorsports in Portland. They have some pretty cool axle and ring/pinion setups for Jeeps.

dutchman-axle1.jpg

dutchman-axle2.jpg

That's an alloy axle setup with strength yields comparable to a Rockwell 57-60! Solves the Dana 44 issues with a Wrangler.

What they really specialize in is custom setups- just tell 'em what you need, how big your budget is, and they'll make it.

Last edited:
Sure that isn't factory? Std on the Rubicons, but I think they were optional on the Sahara's. Damn- that thing should be about unstoppable.

Kids buddy's dad owns Dutchman Motorsports in Portland. They have some pretty cool axle and ring/pinion setups for Jeeps.

dutchman-axle1.jpg

dutchman-axle2.jpg

That's an alloy axle setup with strength yields comparable to a Rockwell 57-60! Solves the Dana 44 issues with a Wrangler.

What they really specialize in is custom setups- just tell 'em what you need, how big your budget is, and they'll make it.
I don't think the lockers are stock. Its just a run of the mill tj, not reubicon or sahara. And yeah it goes pretty good in low 4 all locked.

Ok I think we know what route we are gunna take with this. They are gunna re-gear it, and look for some power upgrades for it. Havent looked much yet, but thinking an intake upgrade, cam, and or head upgrades

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts