Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1997 wrangler engine swap

What engine for a 97 tj?

• Total voters
I think I can throw this in here I guess, even If it ain't a ford, it involves ford.

A friend of mine just bought a 1997 wrangler, with the 4 cyl. By far the most gutless thing Ive ever seen. He wants more power, Im a ford guy. See where this is going?

I suggested a 302. From the googling ive done so far, it seems to be not to hard of a swap. Im wondering if anyone knows anything about this, and/or any swap kits that are worth a damn.

Also, there is the option of finding a 4L I6, like what most jeep guys play with, maybe building it up a little, and swapping it in (Probably the easiest option)

Other ideas?

Last edited:
I vote for other. I think a 300 would be awesome in a wrangler, and have the best low end ability when off roading, especially compared to a 302 and the 4.0L. And parts are cheaper and easier to find too...

I vote for other. I think a 300 would be awesome in a wrangler, and have the best low end ability when off roading, especially compared to a 302 and the 4.0L. And parts are cheaper and easier to find too...

I honestly didn't think of that. Rep points

I honestly didn't think of that. Rep points

Thanks man. :)

You should be able to find a 300 real cheap since most people pull them for V8 swaps. They dont know what they are missing. :p

Thanks man. :)

You should be able to find a 300 real cheap since most people pull them for V8 swaps. They dont know what they are missing. :p

Actually, around here, you don't see to many just floatin around. Someone let the cat out of the bag and a lot of people know of the possibilities of the 300

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I voted other...

What about a smaller Ford motor, say a 3.0 or 4.0 ranger engine? :)

I know their lacking on power, but limited budget ain't gonna get him much (hate to say it.. but it's true, unless he gets extremely lucky..)

(plus, they should be plentiful from junkyards, etc.)

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Got enough length under the hood to fit a straight six, including the radiator?

*If I were to go through with it, I'd do an eight, and a bigger one than proposed. Besides, why go straight when you can go eight? smilietease

Last edited:

*If I were to go through with it, I'd do an eight, and a bigger one than proposed. Besides, why go straight when you can go eight? smilietease

Because Straight >>> Eight... smilietease

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner

I have a 235 I6 in my truck... :suspicious:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Because Straight >>> Eight... smilietease

Straight = six and eight = more cubes and therefore ponies (and not so longgggggg under the hood). When making a swap, work is work so I'd suggest he derive the most benefit from the work. YelloThumbUp

i vote 302 or a 300 six for a budget, if you can find a 351 that would be a good option if hes not worried about saving fuel.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
300 won't fit, Ford 3.0/4.0 V6s suck compared to the 4.0 I-6 the Jeeps have. 302 would be a good choice 347 would be better.

4bt cummins is an awesome engine in a wrangler, but aren't cheap on average.

Probably the best bet is go with a SBC purely on the basis of CHEAP to build and everybody has done it to their Jeep when wanting more power...

FTF'er

My first choice would be a 5.7 Chevy, maybe an old TPI motor. The older TBI 5.7 Chevy motors are cheap, reliable, and super easy to wire in. My second choice would be a Ford 5.0 HO.

I've wanted to swap a supercharged 3.8 from a Super Coupe into something... but it's quite an involved swap and it takes a lot of room. The SC 3.8 can make a lot of power for cheap $$$.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts