Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1959 M250 4x4?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Col. Flashman is the one to ask about Merc trucks, as he's the most knowledgeable person that I know of.

He's got a 1958 M100 which has been in his family since new.

You can find him in the 1948/60 forum on t'other site.

JMO: 15K is WAY TOO much money!

Thanks for the info Bill. If you think 15k is too much, do you have a ballpark figure on what you think it would be worth. I figured if it really was 1 of 88, and in as good condition as it is, I thought 15K was a little low, but that's probably got a lot to do with how much I want the truck.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well if you get it man post lots of pics :)

Oh trust me, I will if I get it...but that's still off in the future...I'm waist deep in 'go-fast' parts receipts for my Bronco's engine build AND my 460 build. I just wanted a little more knowledge first so I have a little more info to go on than what the owner and VIN says. Bill gave me a good line on a guy whose supposed to be a guru on 57-60 Mercury's...so I'll have to get in contact with him. Thanks for all the help fellas, and please keep posting info.

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
Thanks for the info Bill. If you think 15k is too much, do you have a ballpark figure on what you think it would be worth. I figured if it really was 1 of 88, and in as good condition as it is, I thought 15K was a little low, but that's probably got a lot to do with how much I want the truck.

Here are the price quotes from NADA for 1959 F250 4WD both Styleside & Flareside, add 10-20% for the Mercury version per mercurypickup.com

www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=...065&d=7383&c=10&o=7184&vi=91017&z=85032&da=-1

www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=...065&d=7383&c=10&o=7184&vi=91016&z=85032&da=-1

www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5014-502-504-50005&l=1&w=22&p=0&f=5003

You may also want to check Hemmings for more info & prices.
www.hemmings.com

Also IIRC 1959 was the first year you could get 4WD from the factory, prior to that it was an aftermarket upgrade by outside vendors Marmon-Herrington, Napco, or American-Coleman.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I must have missed that thread, what are you going to do to your 351 and the 460? mild or wild?

Sorry...haven't posted a thread about either build over here yet. The 351M build is for my Bronco, and it's going to be relatively mild...the same setup that I have on my 400 in my Red truck which dyno'd at 347rwhp/442tq. I just finished getting all the parts for the build over Christmas, and hope to pull the engine and have the build done and in over Easter break.

The 460 build is going to be pretty wild with a 557 stroker...haven't really started on that yet. My brother threw a rod in the '96 while towing his boat after a tournament. So over Christmas break me and my dad pulled the 460, dropped in an 80,000 mile '91 460 for the time being until the stroker on the original engine is done.

Then over the summer, if all goes well, with no hiccups, I'm hoping to the throw a Barnett 496 stroker in my Red truck too. They say that kit produces 550+hp/650+tq on 93 octane with peak hp and tq under 3500rpm.

So I promise, when all this stuff finally happens, I'll post a thread with pics. But it's hard timing this stuff out being a full-time student, 5 hours from home, and prepping for combines. As is, my plans were pushed back 3 months already due to timing conflicts, interviews and shipping mishaps.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Here are the price quotes from NADA for 1959 F250 4WD both Styleside & Flareside, add 10-20% for the Mercury version per mercurypickup.com

www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=...065&d=7383&c=10&o=7184&vi=91017&z=85032&da=-1

www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=...065&d=7383&c=10&o=7184&vi=91016&z=85032&da=-1

www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?LI=1-22-1-5014-502-504-50005&l=1&w=22&p=0&f=5003

You may also want to check Hemmings for more info & prices.
www.hemmings.com

Also IIRC 1959 was the first year you could get 4WD from the factory, prior to that it was an aftermarket upgrade by outside vendors Marmon-Herrington, Napco, or American-Coleman.

Thanks for that man...again great help. I figure the truck is between average and high retail condition, hence the reason I thought 15K wasn't a bad price at all. And you're right, 59 is the first year for 4x4. That's one reason I was looking for more info, because NAPCO and MH conversions were still so prevalent that it would be easy enough to have been done and some just rivets in an accurate door tag. I know the MH and NAPCO conversions have one dead giveaway that it was converted, the front diff is either on the right side, or some were dead center...that said, I just wanted to make sure that a Mercury didn't have a weird front diff setup that would cause me to think it was a conversion, because on Ford's the diff is on the driver's side, and I can't remember what side the diff was on on the M250. Thanks again for the info.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Nice numbers on that 351 what are you going to throw in to it to get those numbers?

Carb: Holley 4150 650 cfm vac. secondaries
Intake: Edelbrock Performer
Headers: Hooker Competition Headers
Exhaust: 2.25" true duals exit before tires with glass packs
Cam: Comp Cams xe256 or xe262
Crank: TMI 400 crank
Bore: .030 or .040
Pistons: TMI Piston (Step Dish)

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Nice bill I think i'll write those down, I'm really at a lose to what I want to do with I build my next engine I want good power with out going to crazy.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
TXnomad...what the price list for what I listed cost me just under $3000 and peak HP is 2400rpm and peak tq is under 3000rpm.

Don...to tell you the truth, I was just happy to get Thunder up and running again, she had been sitting for about 3 months until a guy I know offered me the engine for some plate steel I had. But I'm expecting the build to run me anywhere from 5-7500, depends one how much time I have to do my own work and how many deals I can find. I really need to talk to Ed to see who he went through for his 557 build. But when that ball gets rolling, I'll post about it.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
TXnomad...what the price list for what I listed cost me just under $3000 and peak HP is 2400rpm and peak tq is under 3000rpm.

Awesome Ben thats pretty reasonable for all those parts, are you going to put every thing together your self or have a shop do it all?
I think i'm going to shoot for some thing like that but i'm going to dump the carb and go with a BOSS injection system..
Btw you can tell me Tex :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright then Tex...yeah it was really reasonable for those parts...coulda cut the price just about in half had I not gone all new parts...but I typically stay away from 'lightly' used parts. Anyways, I believe the final parts list price was $2988 and that included the bore job which will be $30 a cylinder, which I'll have to ship out. I hope to do all the work myself, but here again, time is of the essence. So I did get labor quote from one of the more reputable shops in my area, and they quoted me $15-1800, which seems to be par for the course.

As far as the BOSS system...not too sure what that is, but context clues say it's a fuel injection system...any system I've priced was a minimum of $1500, and that was just too much for me to swallow. Besides, as I've stated before, I like to stay as simple and mechanical as possible.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
As far as the BOSS system...not too sure what that is, but context clues say it's a fuel injection system...any system I've priced was a minimum of $1500, and that was just too much for me to swallow. Besides, as I've stated before, I like to stay as simple and mechanical as possible.

Can't agree with you more Ben!, but when I rebuild my truck I want it to be as reliable as possible, its going to be a daily driver and some thing i'm going to MAYBE!! really big big big maybe but some thing I might hand down to a little Tex :D in case you wondering here is the Boss system.
http://www.enginefactory.com/Video_Technical_Help/Boss_EFI_092908.wmv
it's really worth the watch :D

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Daggon Tex...that was pretty awesome.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
You see! lol you can't beat that with two sticks brother and they run less then 2K I think, and for what I want I think i'm going to yack out the money I know I wont regret it in the long run..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Here you go brother :D
http://www.retrotekspeed.com/produc...rjection-i-systems/powerjection-1-system.html

Bawhahahaa!

I"d be throwing reps you way Ben but it wont let me give out any more :(

Of course I want the most expensive one...haha. The only thing that worries me about that system is, if I were to put it on anything, it would go on Red, and Red already has 350hp with aspirations of 550+...the guy in the video said the system topped out at a 500hp engine. Oh well, maybe by the time I'd consider getting one, they will have developed a system for me.

Ford Truck Articles