Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

15x8 wheels, what size tires?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
So I've got 15x8 aluminum wheels on my truck, with 33x12.5 tires. Should I be running such a wide tire on 8" wide wheels? Does it matter?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
If memory serves correctly, 8" is the narrowest rim you can run a 12.5" tire on safely, but it is acceptable.

Do you get funny treadwear? Like excessive center wear even if they're not overinflated? That'd be my concern...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah I actually do get strange treadwear... If I remember correctly-- my old tires were wearing more in the center. My brother noticed it one day after I had driven through some dirt coming up the driveway, and the pattern of dirt was concentrated only on the center of the tires and not on the edges. We asked Les Schwab about it (the place where the tires came from) and he said it was normal... I knew it was BS but what was I gonna do... buy new tires?

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
get 10' wide tires

since you drive 75% on road and maybe 25% offroad get tires for onroad traction

Last edited:

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Yeah I actually do get strange treadwear... If I remember correctly-- my old tires were wearing more in the center. My brother noticed it one day after I had driven through some dirt coming up the driveway, and the pattern of dirt was concentrated only on the center of the tires and not on the edges. We asked Les Schwab about it (the place where the tires came from) and he said it was normal... I knew it was BS but what was I gonna do... buy new tires?

didn you say you been having troubles of treadwear with 12.5 tires?
if not go with the 12.5 then

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah it is a little bit abnormal but it's not a huge problem... What about gas mileage? Would I have a noticeable change in gas mileage between 12.5 and 10" tires?

FTF'er
Wider tires = better on snow.
Does it snow much out there? The width of a tire and it's ability to "go through" something can be debated forever just like an e-fan. I've found that driving in snow on the street is easier with a narrow tire. Deep snow drifts when off road is better with the tallest, widest tire you can get.

Can you get a pic showing the profile of your tread? Like turn the tires and take a straight-on show to shown the crown of the tire.

A 35/10.50R-15 SSR would look cool on your truck.

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
You acn adjust the air pressure slightly to change the wear pattern. If it is wearing more in the center, try going a couple of pounds lower.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Does it snow much out there? The width of a tire and it's ability to "go through" something can be debated forever just like an e-fan. I've found that driving in snow on the street is easier with a narrow tire. Deep snow drifts when off road is better with the tallest, widest tire you can get.

Can you get a pic showing the profile of your tread? Like turn the tires and take a straight-on show to shown the crown of the tire.

A 35/10.50R-15 SSR would look cool on your truck.

If I remember correctly, the leader of our pack on the snow trip (deep/soft snow) did not have lockers at all. Why would they appoint him leader of the pack? He had 15" wide tires-- and he tore the place up, no problem.

I dunno about light snow dusting no roads, but for deep snow (ie, going on a 4wd snow trip), wider = better.

I'll try to get a shot of my truck later.

Fellro

Staff member
I guess my experience with the snow and ice around here, wider isn't necessarily better. For strictly snow, maybe, but once it gets packed, not so good, as now you have less surface pressure to grip with. The snow drifts and slush around here make it hell with wide tires... I can get through more snow and such with the narrow tires on my little Cavalier than my wife can with her wider tires on the Caliber... it is practically helpless...

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Chris, Yes and no. The 35 psi on your sidewall is a general safe number to follow. If the tire is properly inflated at lets say 32 lbs, it won't be any more drag. I'm not recommending going too far from what the tire is rated at, but a few lbs can make a difference.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If I were you, I'd just go pick up some cheap steelies in the 9.75-10" range. Knowing how much you like to do things right, I wouldn't say wheels/tires is something you'd wanna cut corners on. The way you're riding right now increases chances for sidewall blowouts and enhances the chances of a tire coming off the rim while wheeling.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Chris anything with rolling mass dictates your fuel mileage......if you get narrower tires...theoretically you'll get better mileage...and then you can just freight those tires over to me...lol

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
If I were you, I'd just go pick up some cheap steelies in the 9.75-10" range. Knowing how much you like to do things right, I wouldn't say wheels/tires is something you'd wanna cut corners on. The way you're riding right now increases chances for sidewall blowouts and enhances the chances of a tire coming off the rim while wheeling.
I ain't picking up 'cheap steelies' for THIS truck... No sir. I've got polished aluminum rims right now... You crazy? 'smiliecrazy'

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I ain't picking up 'cheap steelies' for THIS truck... No sir. I've got polished aluminum rims right now... You crazy? 'smiliecrazy'

HAHAHAHA...I figured as much. I just figured if you were in a pinch and wanted to pick something up. I know around here you can pick up a set of 4 for under $50...maybe have those be your wheeling wheels...so you don't trash the good ones...that's what I try to do. But I'm with you...gimme Alcoas any day of the week.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
HAHAHAHA...I figured as much. I just figured if you were in a pinch and wanted to pick something up. I know around here you can pick up a set of 4 for under $50...maybe have those be your wheeling wheels...so you don't trash the good ones...that's what I try to do. But I'm with you...gimme Alcoas any day of the week.
Yeah I've thought about having 2 sets of tires/wheels... But theres two problems with that...

1) I have no place to store the extra set.
2) It defeats the whole purpose of having the badass tires. I really just want them to my truck look more badass :D Better offroad performance is just an added perk since I don't do it very much :rofl:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Well then I think you know what you hafta do. Just buy a new set. If it were me...I don't think I'd trust my tires bellowing like that on the road...and I don't think I'd trust my bead on the trails. I really don't think trying to make what you have work is worth weird tread wear, a possible blow out and any possible resulting damage...or being stranded out on a trail.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts