Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

15x8 wheels, what size tires?

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
i am running 33/12.5/15 BFG all terrain tires on my truck right now and have been for 2 years now. i havent had any problems yet. it kicks ass in the snow too! when it snows up here i am driving everywhere! as long as theres more then 3" of snow im good, otherwise i slip and slide everywhere

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well I've been driving with this 8" rim / 12.5" tire combo since I bought the truck... Some 20k miles, not even the slightest problem. Even on the snow trip I aired my tires down to 15-18 lbs and didn't pop any beads (and I wasnt being easy on her, either).

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
oh yeah i forgot to add that im also running it on 8" rims as well. i never aired my tires down when i went snow wheeling, (just never did no reason except for i didnt want to be out in the 3' weather! haha)

FTF'er
12.50's on an 8" wheel are fine, and will hold the bead better than on a 10" wheel. Also, the 8" wheel makes a little bulge in the sidewall that protects the rim/bead from damage, especially when air down.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
12.50's on an 8" wheel are fine, and will hold the bead better than on a 10" wheel.
Yeah that's what some of the guys on the snow trip were saying, that I could safely air down MORE with my thin wheels (while others disagreed). We couldnt come to a definitive answer and since I didn't have spare, we decided it would just be safer to not air down quite as much.

FTF'er
I've seen guys with 35/12.50's on 8" wheels @ 8-9 psi and do just fine. I'm a sissy though and never went much under 20 psi, lol :rolling laugh:

FTF'er
And the 10" wheels are a little harder on bearings, tie rod ends, and ball joints. If you like the looks of what you have, then there's no reason to change :)

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Most of them were airing down to 8-10 with their 35-37 tires on 10" wheels. I aired down to about 15 if I remember correctly.

Ford Truck Articles