Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Big Bronco Discussion

Oh yeah...in other news...still have the full size (35x12.5x15) spare hanging off the back on the spare tire carrier. So far so good. I wanna know what the weak point is, that won't handle the 40lb weight increase from the stock 31" spare to the 35" fullsize. Is it the latch point on the gate? Is it the mounting point on the quarter panel? Is it the actual 'arms' that aren't meant to support the weight? I guess only time will tell.

The answer there is simple... there is no weak point. Most folks assume that because over time the outer skin of the tailgate begins to separate from the tailgate on the side of the gate that the spare hangs that it MUST be because the tire is too heavy for the carrier and body panels to handle it hanging there. Not true. I don't know if its ok to link to another site on this forum so I won't. However, if you are interested in the "fix" I implemented to keep a brand new tailgate from suffering the same kind of "torque stress failure" that the previous one had, look up my screen name at FTE and check my Gallery "Tire carrier torque fix".

Many have argued this point with me but NO ONE who followed my advice has ever come back and told me they developed any further problems with the tailgate.

Very nice Bronco, just putting a 460/429cj heads in my 79 Bronco. Waiting for mtr mounts. What color is that I really like it. Mine is red but about to be painted soon, but not sure of a color yet.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Finally got the rear window back in the Bronco. It had been out for about 2.5 weeks. Then it decided to drop to mid 40's (from mid 80's) and rain a week straight. But, it's in now, no harm, no foul. End up being what looked to be a short in a plug , which caused an arc over. Which in turn only allowed my window to roll in one direction. So I snipped the plug and spliced/replaced any and all bad looking wire, threw some spade connectors on and hooked up to the other half of the plug, and now it works like a charm.

Question though...besides buying used, is there anywhere that just sells sections or portions of the gate harness (specifically the plugs)? I know places sell the whole harness for $250, but when all you need is a plug and pigtail, $250 is outta the question.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts