Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What have you done to your 351M/400

THREAD FROM THE DEAD!

I'm hoping to join the 335 club and actually acquire a 351M/400 for my F150. :)

cool, they're really pretty good engines. I like mine..with a 4 barrel, alum intake and headers, etc they run pretty good, they're not bad like alot of ppl say. only thing i dnt like about mine is it's cold natured and hard to start when it's real cold out and leaks a lil outta the rear main.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
only thing i dnt like about mine is it's cold natured and hard to start when it's real cold out and leaks a lil outta the rear main.

That would be carb related, not engine related...a mistuned carb can sit atop any engine. Same for the rear seal, it could happen to any engine, it's not 335 specific.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
What have I done to my 400? I yanked it out to put a 300 in it... :D

That would be carb related, not engine related...a mistuned carb can sit atop any engine. Same for the rear seal, it could happen to any engine, it's not 335 specific.

true, simply saying that's the only downfalls of mine. I think it's mainly that i haven't figured out how much choke it needs on cold starts..as for the rear main, its not a huge deal, just about any older engine is gonna do so.

its a good runner, gets 80 psi oil cold. 30 or 40 hot.

do you have a pic of the exhaust ? smilieFordlogo :)

no, not right now...the only bad thing about it was that they had to run the pipes kina low because these headers on one side hung way dwn and if i had it bent that crazy, it would've really cut down on my flow.

i do need to get some pics, yes

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I never really did post much in this thread..so here we go :D

TMI 4.25'' Crank
Final Static CR is 11.44:1
CHI 3V heads
CHI Intake
Powerjection III fuel injection
Scorpion roller rockers
Comp Cams roller cam, custom grind. .602/.612 lift, 224/[email protected]
Sanderson headers
Distributor by Reincarnation and MSD ignition
KB Forged pistons
4 Bolt caps

Engine_parts_036.JPG

Engine_parts_034.JPG

Engine_parts_030.JPG

Engine_parts_028.JPG

Engine_parts_026.JPG

Engine_parts_023.JPG

Engine_parts_022.JPG

Engine_parts_017.JPG

Engine_parts_013.JPG

Engine_parts_015.JPG

Engine_parts_029.JPG

79_truck_0124.JPG

When I bought my truck the engine in it was rebuilt 33k ago, but has had a lot of sitting time over the last 6 ears. Carb has been rebuilt, then recleaned, distributor was rebuilt on the side of the road after the reluctor broke and the engine jumped time. After that the timing was done and the air filter was opened up.

It's been running great since then minus backfireing into the carburetor three times.

I was wondering how to get better fuel economy out of my truck. I'm not expecting miracles, I'd jut like to break 10mph!

Last edited:

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
When I bought my truck the engine in it was rebuilt 33k ago, but has had a lot of sitting time over the last 6 ears. Carb has been rebuilt, then recleaned, distributor was rebuilt on the side of the road after the reluctor broke and the engine jumped time. After that the timing was done and the air filter was opened up.

It's been running great since then minus backfireing into the carburetor three times.

I was wondering how to get better fuel economy out of my truck. I'm not expecting miracles, I'd jut like to break 10mph!

You and me both !!!!!!!! think you meant 10 mpg :)

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I got mine above 10 mph once. It was pretty scary. :wasntme:

I think 10 mpg is a good average number for mileage. I can get 12 mpg on a completely stock 400(rebuilt) if I feather the throttle, and I'm happy with that.

We are talking about a vehicle that acts as a windbrake in a wind tunnel. My
'89 460 gets 10 on a good day, but usually around 8 mpg.

I got mine above 10 mph once. It was pretty scary. :wasntme:

Dammit that's what I get for not re reading before I post with this damn iPod.

It's good to know that I am at least getting average milage for the vehicle. I haven't been able to find any statements of fuel economy on em. Good thing it's only gotta go 12 miles to and from workand the wifes go cart for the other stuff.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
:rofl: :rofl: Sorry, I couldn't resist. There are some people that have reported 14-18 mpg with various modifications and/or different engines.

I did buy a '79 new with the 351M that got 12-14 mpg highway(bone stock with no a/c)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts