Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Noticed about Instrument clusters

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
So, I started to repaint my needles in my cluster and noticed a couple things. First off, I was using an econoline cluster because of the better plastic and was repainting my needles when I noticed I had a light at the bottom of the econo speedo I was using and I looked to see what it was and it was an "anti-lock brake" light. I know it's not 73-79 specific, but what was that for? I'm switching out speedos anyway because I don't care for the square around 55MPH and switching to another 80MPH speedo (I don't have a 100MPH). But anyway, while I was taking apart another cluster, I noticed that the two instrument lights had blue plastic caps vs the green. I never knew there were blue caps for the lights.

always blue

yellow light and blue filter = green

i have an 100 mph speedo in my garage just looking for another owner

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
The blue must have been for the trucks, because the econoline cluster had green. That's why I thought they were just green and not the yellow & blue = green thing.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
That's a good write-up on Hipos website. Here is a pic of the two different "filter caps". The one set is green and it's out of the econoline cluster I had, so they must be specific to the econolines?

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I'd get rid of those caps Buck, if your going to be using those new LEDS those filters will kill the look of the leds.

Exactly Tex.......originally I forgot to remove those and put in the LED bulbs (not the 5x ones) and wasn't happy. I think I'll be happier without those filters, huh?

On a side note... Does anyone know what kind of bulb is needed for the steering column shifter pattern?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I think it takes the same the as cluster...
Where the heck is the Ford Parts Guru at!:D

Last edited:
No the steering indicator is like an 1816 bulb, it is a metal based bulb.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
For you guys that do the HIPO swap...especially you Buck...did you just go with the green LED's and pull the filters? As I mentioned in another thread, the left side of dash went out, so it's time to pull it and do the HIPO LED upgrade. I'm debating on the colors I want. I thought I'd probably keep the indicators green. But didn't know if I'd go white for te rest? Who knows...decisions, decisions.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
For instrument lights, I went with the BLUE like Tex did and pulled the filters. But, like Tex put in his the 5x LEDs for the instrument lights, I'm going to get those. The ones that come in the kit work OK, but not near as bright as what you see in Tex's cluster. The indicators I kept green that was supplied with the kit. I tried to get a pic of my cluster, but I couldn't get a real good one.

Also, don't forget to get LED bulbs for the wiper/light switch light and also your Heater/AC light

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Also, don't forget to get LED bulbs for the wiper/light switch light and also your Heater/AC light

Thanks for the info Buck...but what do you mean in regards to the stuff I quoted. You mean the lights behind the HVAC controls? And wiper/light switch? What is that...dunno if I have one. I suppose I need a new bulb for my Hi-Beam indicator light too, right?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Theres a heater/AC light? When ya pull off your dash surround there will be a little socket that should have a light and filter in it its right above the light switch and wiper switch on the back side.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Sorry Ben about my posting. Sometimes I'm not very clear. On your cluster, you'll have 2 lights for the overall instrument lights, 2 lights for the indicators, 1 light for the hi/lo beam indicator, and then 2 lights for the brake and seat belt indicator. (I think that's all).

There is one light behind the HVAC controls and there is a light behind the wiper and headlight switch. I just figured since you'll have the bezel off and cluster out, you just as well replace all. Especially if you go with a different color.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I'm pretty sure the bulb for all cluster lights and the HVAC controls need a base of 194. The bulb for the wiper and headlight switch has a Ba9s base.

attn buck

1978BulbSpecs.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts