Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Red is TOTM!!

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Congratulations, Ben! Red certainly deserves the recognition! I have to say it's one of the nicest all around dentsides I have ever seen. Not only does it look great, but I'm jealous of your motor build and dual D 60's too.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey thanks fellas. I can say she sure was a labor of love. And Steve, remember...you can build what I have, just takes a little coin. $3000 in the engine, and for $800 you could have the same front axle...haha. Besides you wouldn't like my engine bay...I go from a chrome fuel pump all the way up to the chrome air cleaner on top.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Hey thanks fellas. I can say she sure was a labor of love. And Steve, remember...you can build what I have, just takes a little coin. $3000 in the engine, and for $800 you could have the same front axle...haha. Besides you wouldn't like my engine bay...I go from a chrome fuel pump all the way up to the chrome air cleaner on top.

Post some pics of the engine Ben I've never seen it before.YelloThumbUp

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Hey thanks fellas. I can say she sure was a labor of love. And remember...you can build what I have, just takes a little coin. $3000 in the engine

3K in the engine, that's pretty good. I haven't added up my invoices for my engine yet. I don't think I want too.

Anyway, I posted in the TOTM thread, but I'll post again here cuz it's such an awesome truck. It's one of those trucks that you want to look at everyday and don't get tired of. Also, it's one that you want to show other people the pictues and say....."you think that truck is nice, you outta see this one (Ben's Red)".

AFA a video made up, I'd really like to just see it start up, rev it up a few times then let it idle. Then for a finale, light the tires up!!!! Of course, you might wear out a little of the boggers, BUT IT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!

On a side note, I'd love to see that thing do some real mudd bogging and I have often thought about running mine through a pit JUST ONCE, to see what I'll do, but I don't think that'd happen. Hell, It'll take some inner self pushing just to drive the darn thing.

Congrats again on having the Best truck in February and probably one of the best trucks of the year and decade and so on.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Post some pics of the engine Ben I've never seen it before.YelloThumbUp

GEEZUS...you guys and your pictures...I swear, I really wasn't a picture whore until recently, so I really don't have alot until this past summer. So you'll have to wait until I go home and pull Red outta storage again. But it's really not that blingy...chrome fuel pump, chrome air filter, chrome paint on the pulleys, stripped the original VC's and had them chromed, Eddy Performer is just silver...I didn't opt for the endurashine, Carb is silver also, and the PO had the block painted Ford blue. It really is kinda mismatched, and is the next thing on my list to take care of. But I really dunno which direction I wanna go with it. I figure all the accessories and brackets are gonna be chrome, but I'm not sure about the block, the Ford blue block is kinda a sore thumb, and I don't think it would look good in red.

Buck...thanks again man, I really do take a lot of pride in Red. Again, I'll make a video just for you when I get her outta storage. As for muddin her...I used to before the restore, and did a couple times after the restore...but that stopped really quick, because it was expensive if you needed to fix a ding, dent scratch or needed a panel repainted. So my advice...DON'T do it, unless you're willing to get sick and pony up some coin.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Ben those Numbers you have for your truck.
Did you get them from a real dyno?

Yes I did, there's a shop in China Grove, that a friend owns and they have a dyno. For right now, Red has the exact same set up in her that the Bronco will get...here's the parts list:

Carb: Holley 4150 650 cfm vac. secondaries
Intake: Edelbrock Performer
Headers: Sanderson FC3 Headers
Exhaust: 2.5" true duals exit after tires with 12" CB gpacks
Cam: Comp Cams xe262
Bore: .030
Pistons: TMI Piston Hyper (Step Dish) 14cc, .030 over

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Yes I did, there's a shop in China Grove, that a friend owns and they have a dyno. For right now, Red has the exact same set up in her that the Bronco will get...here's the parts list:

Carb: Holley 4150 650 cfm vac. secondaries
Intake: Edelbrock Performer
Headers: Sanderson FC3 Headers
Exhaust: 2.5" true duals exit after tires with 12" CB gpacks
Cam: Comp Cams xe262
Bore: .030
Pistons: TMI Piston Hyper (Step Dish) 14cc, .030 over

Is that a roller Cam?
Also I know you have told but you can 87 in red with pings right? and what kinda mpg dose red get? I've all ways wanted to put my truck on a Dyno just for the hell of it :D i'm sure it would give people a good laugh.:rofl:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
No it's a Hyd. flat tap. I have used 87 and it does ping a little. So I usually stick with mid range 91 octane. And with 37" Boggers and 4.88's, it get 6mpg city, 8-9 highway. When I had the 4.10's in her, she got 7-8 city and 10-11 highway. As far as getting dyno'd I'd say go for it, I think most places run $3-500 a day. However, since I know the guy at my shop, I usually get it for free. As far as laughable performance on a dyno, I bet my Bronco has you beat...I would be willing to bet the tired 351M is probably around 90hp to the ground...it's gonna be nice once I finally get it rebuilt.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You laugh Tex...I'm being serious. Figure the 351M only came with 158 stock HP. It's beyond worn (ie bad rings, blows lotsa blue, etc.) and can be down right disappointing at times. When I hop out of the Bronco and into one of the trucks, it feels like I go from walking to driving a drag car.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Naw...I already got my TMI 400 crank, rods and pistons. So I'm turning my 351M into a 400.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I wonder why the M engines make so much better truck engines..

than what? the 302 is under powered. The 351W is high winding, not necessarily good for towing. 351C never went in a truck, so I guess that left the 351M/400...as the mid-sized truck block. It woulda been awesome if they put the 460 in 4by's prior to '83...and I have no clue why they didn't. Although my dad did order a '79 Bronco with a dealer installed 460, and it had no letter for the engine code on the VIN. But his dad was a mechanic at the dealership, and the owner was 20 year long friends of the family...so I guess anything coulda/woulda been possible back then.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Aside from the FE. If I ever redo the 390 in the truck, I'll come over to Salibury and pull your 400 around backwards... :rofl2:

Them be fightin words...haha. But I'm always game for an impromptu truck pull...so I'm game. Just lemme get some new straps first, I think mine are dead...in which case we'd both go hurtling outta control in opposite directions and probably be stopped by some trees.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts