Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1959 M250 4x4?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I know, I know it's not a Ford. But it is Mercury, so I figured it was acceptable. I have an affinity for 4x4 trucks, and always wanted 1959 F250 4x4. Well a few weeks back, I came across what I thought was one. But nope it sure wasn't, it was a 1959 M250 4x4. I'm thinking this is pretty rare. The owner told me it was 1 of 88 built, any possible truth to this? And yes, the VIN does check out. The guy told me he'd sell it to me for $15,000. Now this is a pretty showroom rig, and I figure a fair price. I don't have the funds for it right now, but the owner isn't actually selling, just has a price he'll let it go for. I'm assuming since it's a Mercury, it's a Canadian truck. Are there any differences between a Mercury truck and Ford truck that I should be aware of? The reason I ask is because I want to make sure that this truck hasn't had things replaced through a NAPCO or MH supplier. Thanks for any help, insight or advice.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
...1959 M250 4x4. I'm thinking this is pretty rare. The owner told me it was 1 of 88 built...

I don't really have much knowledge to impart, but that 1 of 88 number kinda rings a bell with Mercury trucks.

My brain is totally fried tonight, but I feel like I've seen a discussion like this somewhere, at some point in time. Or maybe it was an eBay auction a few years ago? I can't remember...but Google might be your friend, here.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It sounds kewl. Do you have any pictures of it, Ben?

Sorry, I sure don't. I actually saw on the way back from a hunting trip in Cleveland, NC. The truck caught my eye, and I don't think I've ever veered into a gas station parking lot so fast in my life. I started looking at it, noticed it was a Mercury, then the owner came out after paying and we started talking about it. I told him I always wanted a 59 F250 4x4, but now that I knew a Mercury version existed, I'd kill for it. He then told me it wasn't really for sale but he'd take no less than 15,000 for it. I took down his name and address, and went and gazed at the truck a few times and shot the breeze with the fella, and still email once a month to make sure he's still got the truck. Beyond the VIN and what the guy has told me about the truck, I still don't know much about M250's.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yes...exactly like that, just with Mercury badging...I'm gonna have to ask ol' Dennis if he knows anything about or has any info on Mercury trucks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not much here but might be a place to contact for info...

http://www.mercury-pickup.net/

Thanks for that...I never knew that site existed. I gave it a quick skim and noticed they had a 57-60 section, so looks like I'll have to spend a little time over there. I also read something a little disappointing...according technically accepted terms, my red truck isn't really a SHOW truck, it's an INFORMAL SHOW truck...oh well.

http://www.mercurypickup.com/production.htm ( these figures are for TOTAL Mercury/Ford truck units produced 1/2 ton through the largest )

5,380 Mercury trucks in 1959.

Thanks man, appreciate the figures.

Man you guys are great...I can't get over how nice and helpful everyone is here. Not to mention you guys are quick to pass out the rep points here. I have 25% of the rep points here than I do on another site with only 1.5% of the posts. Thanks again for the help guys.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Col. Flashman is the one to ask about Merc trucks, as he's the most knowledgeable person that I know of.

He's got a 1958 M100 which has been in his family since new.

You can find him in the 1948/60 forum on t'other site.

JMO: 15K is WAY TOO much money!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Where did you find that your truck is an INFORMAL show truck?

I clicked on one of their links that had a breakdown of fair market value for different Mercury Trucks. A #1 ranked show vehicle is basically a straight concourse edition and shown/known world wide (similar to what you see on Barrett Jackson), then #2 ranked is shown on a national level and just a hair below #1 quality. Then #3 ranked is basically a high class slightly driven, showing some use, vehicle shown locally and state-wide...aka an Informal Show truck.

Ask the guy if he will trade......

Ummmmmm, I think not, I'm a collector. I prefer to add to my collection. Besides, Red was my first truck, then I was flipped by a drunk driver and hit a phone poll, then my father and I restored it and did everything but the $7000 paint job. Thank God Dennis Carpenter is only 20 miles from my house.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts