Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Chevy HHR SS

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
I've mentioned I've been stoopid busy lately. Apparantly my boss thought I needed something to make the travel time shrink a bit :) , so I've been spending quite a bit of wheel time with a Bright Red HHR SS. I don't know what I was expecting, but this is, short of a Corvette, one of the most seriously fast cars I've drivien in a long time. 0-60 in about 6.3 seconds I'm told, top end limited at 150 mph, 14 second quarter.

Those numbers don't really tell the story. A stock HHR SS lapped the Nurburgring Nordschleife in 8 minutes and 43 seconds. A Lotus Exige goes around the Nordschleife in 8:42. A Honda S2000 laps it in 8:39. An NSX does the deed in 8:38. This litttle retro delivery van is only 3 seconds slower around the most challenging race course in the world than a BMW E39 M5!

hhrssday3a.jpg

smallish_2118505360_6ba3ddf9fb_o.jpg

I also didn't expect to see the 31.2 mpg I've been getting on the thing, per the DIC. Surprising little vehicle, on a number of levels.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So what's that thing got under the hood- supercharged Ecotec? And do they build it with a stick-shift?

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Turbo-charged eco-tec. 260 HP, 260 ft/lbs torque, near zero turbo-lag in a 3100 lb scooter. 5-speed manual with optional Limited Slip/Brembo's (why, O why is this optional?) or Automatic. Natch, I'm in the slushbox. :headbang:

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Gosh... That's a strange combo. I'm impressed.

Ernie, I've never been in one of those things, let alone drive one, but for a course like that it looks like the top heavy design would tip a lot and lose traction. Is it top heavy or does it just LOOK top heavy?

Ryan

polarbear

Boring, Oregon
Serves you right for all the times you've tried to explain to me why I shouldn't hate them. :p

I don't dislike the slushbox. This powertrain makes you be careful though- it pulls like a freight train, but it's not the sudden "Bang" you get out of a V8 when you punch it. This thing just picks itself up and moves (wheelspin is almost impossible because of stabilitrak). Punch it, and make sure you look in front of you (think merging on an Interstate).

Gosh... That's a strange combo. I'm impressed.

Ernie, I've never been in one of those things, let alone drive one, but for a course like that it looks like the top heavy design would tip a lot and lose traction. Is it top heavy or does it just LOOK top heavy?

Ryan

Doesn't feel top-heavy at all. Actually, the biggest HHR gripe is that the roof/windows are too low and restrict visibility (true).

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts