Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

T-Case Question

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Well my tcase in my F350 finally took a dump. Well I was looking around on craigslist and found a guy in the next town over. Went and looked at it and its a 460/c6/tcase all for 400, so I was like can I just buy the tcase guy was like sure, so i got it for 100 bucks. I didnt pick it up yet. Its from a 90 F350. The tcase looks the same and has the same shifter on it. So my question is seeing it is from a c6 not an e4od will it bolt up 2 mine? If it wont im sure I can use it to fix mine.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I'm pretty sure it'll bolt up, not positive.

But what was wrong with yours? Did you ever bother to dissemble it? It's really not that complicated on the inside. What are the symptoms of the failure?

can't answer your question, but if it was me...
i'd offer to buy all 3 components for like $250. if he's selling them for $400, he wants them gone. if you're there for the t-case and offer $250 for all he might be willing to let them go. not sure what you'd do with them, but if i was the one selling it - i'd let it go

95F350XL,

Sorry to hear that about your tcase. hopefully someone can give you a definitive answer. i'm interested to know whats wrong with it too.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
It was making a messed up noise in reverse, and now its makin it in drive. It feels like its binding as if 4x4 was on and the front wheels are locking up. But the driveshaft isnt moving. The guy has someone comming for the engine on saturday so I wasnt going to buy it. He is also throwin in a rear slider window. So its all good, maybe ill take the C6 with the tcase if he doesnt have it seprated when I get there. I think the chain is messed up in mine. When in 4L the sound is like 100x more, but was only in reverse, I was backing up yesterday and it was like click click click then it was like bang and its really loud now.

Storm

C6 and E40D should have same bolt pattern and input shaft size..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Might be the little plastic jobbies on the shift fork... They're pretty notorious for heading south on this trucks. You should take your tcase apart and see if it could be salvaged for a profit ;) If the shift fork tabs are the problem, that's an inexpensive and easy fix.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Sweet good 2 hear. I cant wait to get the newer tcase and fix my truck up, yea ill take the old one apart when I get my truck fixed up.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Ahh, but I dont think thats what is making sounds in mine. My shit is messed up lol.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
With most of my stuff that goes wrong I always have good pics, like when I blew my engine lol.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
To update, I think my prob is worse then I orig figured. I had to use the truck today to drop off an engine hoist back to a friend. Well they sound is in drive but only in 1st. As soon as it shifts into 2nd the sound is gone. Im starting to think that its the trans thats messed up not the tcase. Is there a way to determine if its the trans or tcase thats makin the sound?

Storm

If your hearing it in 1st, but not in 2nd and additional gears.. Wouldn't be the TC.. Unless its a harmonic sound that dissipates at higher speed..

Honestly best way to test would be throwing it on a lift with a stethoscope and having someone put it in gear and run the engine through the gears.. Use the stethoscope to determine the noise origin

My 1988 had a neutral on the t case does your? if so you may be able to put the t case in neutral and see if it makes the noise then-that should just be the trans?if t case in neutral and you shift the trans into d it should or should not make noise I would guess?

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Sounds good. Ill try that.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I put the tcase in N and then started up the truck and put it in reverse. It made the sound. But then I was thinkin, there is still part of the tcase that is movin anyway. I got the used one with 20K to put in so Ill do that this weekend. Then ill see if it still makes it. Ill prob have to change it again caus thats my luck. Ill just put the truck in 2 and start in that so I dont have to hear it.

Storm

All neutral does is disconnect the front shaft.. Your still going to rotate inside. Are you having any hard shifts?

Storm

Nevermind.. I just read your post on whats happening.. Sounds like the chain is fubar'd.. Possibly the plastic retaining clips too. Let us know what happens on the other TC :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts