Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

WTF

On lmc truck the tailgate center panel for my 1990 Ford is $699.95. From what i can tell on the diagram its that peace of tin that goes over the tailgate which i need. Does anyone know where i can find one for cheaper. Mine is smashed in beyond repair and thats way to expensive for a chincey piece of metal. Otherwise ill look for one i can fix or build my own out of diamond plate but itd be nice to get a new original one.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
They are expensive. Skan just had to put one on his truck. (burtha)
He may know where to find one a bit cheaper but one in good shape will cost a few hundred bucks.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
Does it look like the panel on a Bronco? I have a Bronco panel in my basement off of an 88 but I don't know if they are the same design or not.

EDIT: Nevermind I just found Skan's pic. Not the same.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Yeah Chris will tell you all about it, but this is something you'll have to hunt for if you want a good price.

Ryan

I removed mine since it was damaged and then I patched the large holes with fiberglass. I ordered tailgate decals online and after painting the tailgate I applied the decals and I really like it and have had some compliments on it. Jim

yeah i think ill try and work it onto sape if not i may end up taking a piece of diamond plate and shape it to fit on the tailgate just right and put a decal on it. ive seen people use diamond plate on other trucks before and it looks alright.

Those big panels that cover most of the tailgate on these trucks are made of brushed stainless steel... that's why they are sooo pricy!! I shake my head every time I see one in a scrapyard.. like I did yesterday.. people don't know what they're throwing away.

yeah no kidding ill have to check out a pick and pull soon. if i repair mine how hard would it be to get the brushed look?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
yeah no kidding ill have to check out a pick and pull soon. if i repair mine how hard would it be to get the brushed look?

steel wool, wire wheel, sand paper

oh wow i was expecting a more complicated procedure. ha maybe i could make some cash by repairing them and selling them for a fraction of the price that lmc offers

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I won't promise how good it will look, I was simply giving you an idea of things that will do a good job scuffing.

lol yeah im sure it wont look as good as it did when ford did it but im sure my friends in tonopah would rather buy a decent one for like 50 bucks than a perfect one for 700. ill try it on my truck next week and put some pics up to show how it turns out tho

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I've got 2 spares in my garage that I'm trying to sell. One was from my truck when I bought it-- overall in good shape but has 1 or 2 minor dings and 1 larger ding (still only a ding though). Pics:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/Skandociouss/Gallery/DSC01346.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/Skandociouss/Gallery/First Wax 6-8-08/DSC01627.jpg
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/Skandociouss/Gallery/First Wax 6-8-08/DSC01626.jpg

You can see the larger ding in the 2nd two pics. This one is very shiny and the letters look great but it's just those dings... I wanted a perfect panel so my girlfriend and mom chipped in to buy me a brand new one for Christmas. Had that on my truck until I got rear ended recently. The used tailgate that I got had a pretty good looking panel on it, but not up to my perfectionist standards :rofl: That's the other one that I have...

The other one I have has zero dings but the metal is a little tarnished and would need some work to make it shine again. Pic:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u269/Skandociouss/Gallery/471d6c38.jpg

Hard to tell from that picture but in directly sunlight the metal is hazy and dull. Just needs a good polish. I took that one off because I got a good deal on a like-new one on craigslist. They're very hard to come by in good condition since they're so easily dentable.

If you want a BRAND new one for cheaper than retail-- check out http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/ -- they get the dies from Ford after Ford stops manufacturing the parts so a lot of times you can get brand new Ford parts from them for a bit cheaper. I think they sell my panel with the black plastic and the block letters for $350.

ok ill check denis carpenter out but once i get some cash together ill email you or something cause the black will go good with the paint job ill get on my truck. how much you tryin to get for the panels?

what city. me and some friends are goin down there for a concert hopefully so if its on the way i could meet with you and not worry about another part getting damaged in the mail.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts