Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

WTF! antifreeze resevoir popped while driving?

Hi, last week i got a new timing gasket, thermostat, and water pump. On the way home the heat needle gauge was going up and down, heat going semi-cold then hot.
So i took it back in and the mechanic said they cannot do much about air in the coolant line. He said it might need a head gasket, and to keep an eye on my coolant level.
Well today on the way home from work, i heard a "POP" , smelled antifreeze, saw smoke behind me. When i got home i popped the hood and the lid on the antifreeze resevoir popped open and must of squirted coolant all over my engine.
Now before i heard this "POP" while driving i lost heat and the needle gauge went to red H, then back to middle, then i had heat again.
So looks like i am making another appt. and having to find a ride again.
Any techs know something my mechanic doesn't?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Uh, type of vehicle, size of engine, trans (auto, manual)

blacksnapon

Staff member
oh damn sorry, i have a 2000 Ford Ranger, 3.0L, 2wd auto.
The Rangers have been terrible about getting air bubbles in the coolant system. Many times when refilling, I'll remove one of the heater hoses from the firewall (thats the highest point of the coolant system). Then refill normally. There is a tool out called a RADKIT that first puts a vacuum in the system, then using this vacuum, sucks coolant in. This eliminates most chances for air bubbles. Hopefully, they havent damaged anything all ready from the overheat.

Well just had the truck in today and got word that it's the radiator. They say the radiator is clogged. So they gave me a total of $393 for install. I thought that price was high, what do you guys think?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Well just had the truck in today and got word that it's the radiator. They say the radiator is clogged. So they gave me a total of $393 for install. I thought that price was high, what do you guys think?
With the price of aluminum, thats about right for a new one. You might check a salvage yard, or aftermarket for a better price.

I am thinking about installing this myself. What needs to be done for install, just unbolt and take off the 2 hoses?

Ford Truck Articles