Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

WISEMEN! I need your help with a t-18 4-speed trans problem

Thanks for looking at this post,

I have an '87 4x4 f150 with a 5.0 and the 4 speed man. trans. I was told it was the t-18 any way I'm having trouble shifting gears, any gear if I can get it in gear its really tough some times I have to kill the truck, shift gears, and restart it, or if i'm stopped i can put the transfer case in nutral shift to 1st and re engage the transfer case when I do this it grinds and jumps,
also every time I shift to reverse it grinds the gears, this is my first ford and I've only had it one day so any help would be great

THANKS

blacksnapon

Staff member
Thanks for looking at this post,

I have an '87 4x4 f150 with a 5.0 and the 4 speed man. trans. I was told it was the t-18 any way I'm having trouble shifting gears, any gear if I can get it in gear its really tough some times I have to kill the truck, shift gears, and restart it, or if i'm stopped i can put the transfer case in nutral shift to 1st and re engage the transfer case when I do this it grinds and jumps,
also every time I shift to reverse it grinds the gears, this is my first ford and I've only had it one day so any help would be great

THANKS
If your clutch isn't disengaging thoroughly, you'll have that problem.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Hard shiftin is usually a sign of a bad clutch, just caus you have good pressure the friction disk could be toast. And as blacksnapon said, tryin to bleed out the slave and master will prob take you longer then doing the clutch. You can have a buddy sit in the cab, and push the clutch pedal down, and you can watch the salve if its an external one and see how far it moves.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts