Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

windshield

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
any one ever done a windshield on 1992-1996 reg cabs? any good pointers? im planning on doing my cracked windshield tomorrow and yes it will be my first ever windshield replacement

primetime

sawmill slave
Yeah, pay someone else to do it. Really though, having the proper tools will make things alot easier. Aftermarket urethane seems to be harder than oe, so that can make things tougher, but take your time, and don`t get mad.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
You will need a windshield knife to get the old one out.
You can use a guitar string and dowel rods as handle to cut the old sealer but it is a lot of work that way.
Getting the old one out is the hard part. Setting the new one is easy make sure to use the little rubber stops at the bottom edge of the windshield or it will crack.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
FOr the $50 I pay to take them out and install I do not do myself.
They remove and put in while I'm thinking of it . And I break them .LOL
The adhesive is not as easy to remove as the older stuff. Good luck .

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I'm going to pay someone to do my next windshield, but if you decide to undertake it, good luck!

Ryan

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
Yeah, pay someone else to do it. Really though, having the proper tools will make things alot easier. Aftermarket urethane seems to be harder than oe, so that can make things tougher, but take your time, and don`t get mad.

Lol yeah I was going to pay a shop but some can't get it in until a week and some want 200 or more. Huh uh. So I thought I'd take up the job myself:) cheap guy I know

Fellro

Staff member
If you get a windshield kit, get the one with the cable, the others don't work so well. It is a two person operation to use the cable, but it works sooo much better. I would recommend the seal roll over the urethane, the seal in a tube is not good on these trucks for some reason, either that, or the windshield having been used was not clean enough and didn't seal. had to do it again, then the rolled seal wouldn't seem to quite seal, pushed on the corner apparently a little too hard, and cracked it... I can get new windshields for less than $100 from a source locally, so I won't mess with used any more. The new ones have worked out much better than the used.. Take all the trim off both inside an out, and let the truck sit in the sun afterwards. You will need a trim removal tool as well. Suction cups for body repair work well for giving you something to hold on to when setting it in place.

Fellro

Staff member
80 and up are glue in type. Back window is still a gasket though.

Fellro

Staff member
That was the last year for gaskets on the GM's, except the full size Blazer and 3500's, which held out til 91 maybe, they kept the older sheet metal til then.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
BLASPHEMY! lol just a update got my windshield for 95 and the primers and two uerethaine for 26 and some very useful info from the window man maybe get up on it early in the morning

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
Just got done putting my windshield in. Both first timers me and my helper and im happy to say it came out good! Next time i may pay or do it myself i dont knoe what all the hype is about?

Fellro

Staff member
Well, the used windshield install for my sister on the 92 is a fail, beyond the cracked corner. It leaks worse now than before, so I am pretty much convinced it is new or don't bother. Only reason I can think of is that the old material has to be fully removed for it to stick properly.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts