Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Will I be disappointed?

BIGRED911

Charter Member
Nope, because of the complexity involved in mods. If I were you, I'd take some money and fix up that 7.3L and the rest of the truck. Ain't nothin' on ol' Red you can't fix right. Even though you've treated her rough, she's still an awesome truck!! If nothing else, look for another "not so used" 7.3L if you really want a newer truck. I wouldn't touch the 6.4L with a 10 ft. pole. At least not until I KNOW all the bugs are worked out and the aftermarket KNOWS what they're doing with them. And the next time, I'd wait until the warranty is at least CLOSE to up before I started messing with it.

Main thing is i need more room...I carry to much stuff for a regular cab truck now...and (scary part) im gettin tired of shiftin all the time...IM GETTIN LAZY!!!!!

Nope, because of the complexity involved in mods. If I were you, I'd take some money and fix up that 7.3L and the rest of the truck. Ain't nothin' on ol' Red you can't fix right. Even though you've treated her rough, she's still an awesome truck!! If nothing else, look for another "not so used" 7.3L if you really want a newer truck. I wouldn't touch the 6.4L with a 10 ft. pole. At least not until I KNOW all the bugs are worked out and the aftermarket KNOWS what they're doing with them. And the next time, I'd wait until the warranty is at least CLOSE to up before I started messing with it.

Who is this and what have you done with Todd???

BIGRED911

Charter Member
Has he possibly learned from his costly mistake?.....naw...couldnt be....besides im lookin for something with warrenty anyways...

Yes i said me and warrenty in the same sentance...and wanting it to...

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
Ah, I guess you can teach Old Dogs New Tricks!! It just takes Money and time!! ROFLMAO!!!

EDIT: BTW- If I was driving a 6.4L and I stumbled across a deal on a complete spare engine, I'd make that SOB RUN!! :D So, maybe I didn't learn! :p

blacksnapon

Staff member
True...but....simply unbolting the pipe from the DPF and bolting up a larger less restrictive one is going to do absolutly nothin to the warrentied parts...besides i hate the looks of the "dual" tips...
Be advised that the "regeneration" of the dpf is monitoring back pressure, temperature, and drive cycles. Changes to the backpressure will cause issues. The dual tip disperses heat that the regeneration causes. The regen can cause exhaust temperatures of 500 degrees at the tip. Temperatures can reach 1200 degrees at the dpf. Make your modification choices wisely.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Be advised that the "regeneration" of the dpf is monitoring back pressure, temperature, and drive cycles. Changes to the backpressure will cause issues. The dual tip disperses heat that the regeneration causes. The regen can cause exhaust temperatures of 500 degrees at the tip. Temperatures can reach 1200 degrees at the dpf. Make your modification choices wisely.

Yep- there is NFW you're gonna do exhaust mods on these new motor's and get away with it- either from a warranty or a driveability standpoint.

BIGRED911

Charter Member
The regen can cause exhaust temperatures of 500 degrees at the tip. Temperatures can reach 1200 degrees at the dpf. Make your modification choices wisely.

The guys at MBRP wouldnt be selling anything that hinderd the driveablity or performance of a vehicle...theyve got a 5 inch on their 6.4 and havnt had any trouble to date........a 5 inch straight pipe from the DPF back should have enough back pressure to keep things in check...and as far as the heat goes...that shouldnt be a problem...

I dunno, but I heard someone's been test-driving the new off of it!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Hey is givin big red and $34000 too much for a pickup with a $50000 window sticker?[confused]

yes. If you absolutely need a vehicle with a larger cab like you said and it absolutely has to be late model, look at some 05's or 06's and let someone else take the HUGE plunge in price when you drive it off the lot. New vehicles are for people with money and suckers.

Ryan

Yep, he's right, there Cody...

OMG did I just SAY THAT???

sdtheclub

Certified Ford Tech
The 6.4 is a great engine with only minor problems. I am a senior master tech and have been diesel certified for over twenty years. I've been working at Ford dealerships before the 6.9 came out. The 6.9 had headgaskets, injectors, injector pump problems and fuel leaks from all over the place. The 7.3 IDI had the same problems They redesigned the headgaskets at least five times. Then the 7.3 DI came out and I was swamped from day one. First it was the oil getting air in it. Then the oil res going dry causing a crank no start. Then several glow plug relays a day. Then surging because of a sticking IPR and oil leaks from H.P gasket and H.P fittings. Orings on the injectors falling apart causing the engine to run rough and surge. Then a waterpump every 50,000 miles or so and the list just goes on and on. Then came the 6.0, well we all know what a piece of crap that is. What idiot would design a diesel engine where the head bolts that go through aluminum rocker boxes. They learned that didn't work back in the 50's. Who ever designed the 6.0 should have been fired the day it came out. Then came the 6.4, it's been out in production for about ten months now and we have only worked on about twenty of them for engine concerns and out of them probably half were because of something the customer caused. Like putting gasoline in it or using the wrong diesel fuel. So it's my opinion that the 6.4 is by far the best diesel engine that has ever been put into a Ford truck. I work at a huge dealership that has five diesel techs and the only thing that keeps us busy is the 7.3 and the 6.0.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
That could be as well. One definate, is this one is VERY complex. The computer system is much, much more complex than a 6.0.

We have a D-Max owner that spent almost $6500 getting the friggin' thing back to stock after the performance mods he did turned it into a rolling mechanical nightmare. I can't say enough how these new diesels don't take well to mods.

re: late model used. i don't know the market in the Mid-West, but I just ran a '05 F350 lariat Crew through auction here in portland. 35,000 miles, baby-lift with nice wheels and tires, full load otherwise. Truck brought slightly over $35,000 at a dealer auction- meaning it'll go on someone's lot for $40ish. :shocked: Cliffs notes- those 6.0's are still bringing all the money used. For a small bump, you might as well get a new 6.4. My own opinion, mind you.

Ford Truck Articles