Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Will a 4 speed OD manual trans from behind a Straight 6 hold up to the power of my 351 Windsor

Im doing a swap from an auto trans to a 5 speed manual in my 89 F-250, the trans came out of a truck of the same year as mine but was behind a 6cyl. I bought a new clutch everything fits, even the drive shafts on my truck fit. Have the trans, transfer case, clutch pedal assembly, flywheel and pressure plate bolts, steering column, floor pan cover, shifter, master cylinder and everything, it all bolts up easy, but im concerned whether it will handle the power of a stock 351 Windsor, can anybody help?smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Yes it will, they used the same manual transmission behind all the engines.

primetime

sawmill slave
Depends. Is it a ZF 5-speed, or the M5od? M5od trannys were used in half tons, never behind a 351, ZFs were in the heavier trucks. The ZF will handle whatever you throw at it, the M5od, not so much. However, that being said, I put a 351 HO in front of a 91 M5od 5 or 6 years ago. It was my daily driver, plow truck, and I have a two axle car hauler that I used regularly. I killed the original, the second held up. I`m a fairly conservative driver though. At least as far as my back and forth rides.

There will be a plate on the left hand side of the box stating that its a ZF .... ivé looked into swapping my aod for a zf5 too.
Alvin in Az has some pretty good pics in his album of them too.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Zf has pto plates, M5od don't

here in Richmond Va 5 speed 4x4 F-250's are hard to find, either they are still on the road and not being sold or have been scrapped and the parts are already pulled and long gone, craigslist doesn't have anything on there either.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts