Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Why do you modify your rig??

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
I like to modify for function , gonna install a remote start system soon ( bought one yesterday on ebay), bug deflector, window vent visors, . I also mod to add performance . Ford made them good but there is always room for improvement.

Mike

i choose option 3
i think the engineers did there jobs based on what the every day granpa would do to his truck. I modify it because...im really hard on it...45-50 mpg on gravel roads. Jumping bridges. Burnouts. Drag racing. hauling dumptrucks out of the mud (the stock AOD doesnt last long after that) I even used to go up to my buddys place where he would take the fridges out of his rent houses and and id smash them into trees. Mudding...water forging.

broke my first ujoint at 100,007 miles. Doing a burnout infront of votech. ive snapped one another. but ive replaced the other 2, twice. (switched to HD). Ive gone through about 15 sets of used tires. Usually driving on wires for months.
ive put in the range of 2500.00 in my truck since i bought it 2 years ago. with 86k on it, now it has 120k

Sounds like you need a heavier duty truck to start with, not mods to the lighter duty truck.

when is it going to be up and running around?

I don't have a date selected, but it is getting closer.

I need to make an insulated custom air box for the air filter, a bracket to mount some accessories to (MSD stuff, air adjuster etc.) then put the grill, bumper etc. all back together and that just about it. But, as always, unexpected things pop up that need to be done, but as of now thats whats on the list.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I modify so my truck can handle what i need it too...and SHOULD have been able to from the factory IMO

My explorer stays stock and blends in with the crowd. I actually like that, since I am on the road so much. I am not noticed by the law enforcement officers.

The 56 is mostly stock. I am/will add some modern safety features (power brakes, seat belts, etc.). It gets plenty of attention being driven or parked. It does not need anything flashy to get people to notice. :wavey:

I am not involved with racing and the speed limit around here is 55. I don't need anything more than what they already have.

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Sounds like you need a heavier duty truck to start with, not mods to the lighter duty truck.

yea but life would be easy if i had started with a heavier duty truck.
Its even the lighter half ton. No sway bars. and some other things.

you should have see my shocks...

when i was mobile i subscribed to frederic's philosophy..pretty much 100%. Unless it was Nancy's ride..then it was like an episode of home improvement.
now if it starts and rides..i'm good..
the one thing i'd like to do to my truck (after i get someone to do the drag link, i tried to take it apart and started to get horrible back spasms) is a leveling kit. i've always hated the ford "rake".

....i've always hated the ford "rake".

Not all fords have that "rake". All the explorers (4 door) I have ever seen sag in the butt.

Mine is worse than most. It is my mobile body shop and stays overloaded.

That has been a good thing this winter though. It has good traction with all that weight back there. :)

I have issues.. I can't leave things alone. But I don't just change things for the hell of it, it has to be something that improves performance or functionality. I like things to look good but I'll take performance over bling anyday. I think Ford did a good job with these trucks in general, they are very reliable and are built on solid platforms, but I know for a fact they left an awfull lot on the drawing board in terms of performance. You can't really blame the engineers for that, they have a lot of conflicting design criteria to meet.

I do it as more of a learning tool. i like to tinker and learn. i wouldn't say i favor looks or performance. if it's something i don't know about and seem like i could learn something from it (and its cheap), i give it a shot.

example: fog lights. i bought some about 2 years ago and was clueless what to do with them. i knew it should be easy so i bought a $20 pair to make myself learn what was going on. i installed them just to tinker and learn a little about some electrical stuff. feel 10x better even though the light output is pitiful

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Dude...mods are like steroids...they can have good effects but they can have bad effects as well...and it's all to enhance.....I modded my 302 a good bit...why?Because people said it couldn't be done and I couldn't get power out of it.....now it turns heads and scares the shit outta people when they ride with me......I like that....nobody ever asks to drive that way and I can put my crap on the passenger side cause no one wants to ride with me......JMO

JR

I'm a firm believer in modifying certain things to my liking, not because Ford didn't do a good job engineering the parts; but simply because they couldn't put the part(s) in due to the extra cost passed on to the consumer.

Take the quality of car speakers for example. Why make a standard Ford F-150 with nice $300 speakers if the customer you're targeting will have to pay an extra $300 for the truck regardless if he will use the speakers or not.

My explorer stays stock and blends in with the crowd. I actually like that, since I am on the road so much. I am not noticed by the law enforcement officers.

I am not involved with racing and the speed limit around here is 55. I don't need anything more than what they already have.

There is a lot of validity to this way of thinking... though maybe I may entice Brian by telling him that with a tremendous amount of hacking, cutting and welding, a nicely built 460 can fit into a 1991 Ford Explorer 4-door. You'll retain the stock, unassuming appearance and really enjoy the incredible acceleration to your 55 mph :D

Ford Truck Articles