Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

why do they use rivits

:guns: I took out the 351W , the C-6 and every thing else I thought I could use and then I pulled the motor mount brackets. The one on the drivers side had 3 rivits and 2 bolts in it. It took me 2 hours to get it off. I plan to take the 6cyl out next Monday but I have a question, The 1985 6cyl does not appear to have a duraspark set up but the1987 motor does, I left it all hooked up on the engine and the box only has two wires going into it. A red and a black so which wire should I hook up to what

havi

third member
Rivets resist a sideways shear better than a bolt does, in layman's terms.

Not sure what truck you are putting it in, but I used a 1986 300 I6 w/tfi ign. and put it into my '79 Bronco. Once it was in, I swapped the tfi distributor for a DSII one, and installed a pigtail assembly between the tfi coil and the red and green coil wires... you can use the older canister coil and save yerself the trouble with the pigtail. Secondly, I removed the tfi carb with its spaghetti wiring mess, and put an old carter carb on from a mid 70's 300. Worked fine, as long as the truck is already set up with the DSII wiring, fenderwell box, etc... Yours being in the 80's it may have its differences, but the principle is the same. May or may not help.

Fellro

Staff member
Rivets also resist loosening from vibration as well... The driver side has more torque applied to it, so it is more likely to be able to loosen over time. In the 60's GM actually put a cable from the driver side exhaust studs to the upper control arm pivot to keep the motor from ripping the motor mount.

primetime

sawmill slave
In the 60's GM actually put a cable from the driver side exhaust studs to the upper control arm pivot to keep the motor from ripping the motor mount.

I`ve seen those. It was a fix before they went to the interlocking engine mounts.

Fellro

Staff member
Aftermarket motor mounts are interlocking, GM didn't figure out a better mount until 70 on A bodies and the Camaros of the day. 73 across the board they finally fixed that poor mount design completely

Ford Truck Articles