Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Who has ethanol in the fuel?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well went to fill the 72 up the other day and looked at the pump and it had a sticker on it that said this fuel contains up to 10% ethanol. The sticker wasnt there the week before and it pissed me off quite a bit to see it but I went and filled dads car up yesterday at another station and it had the same sticker. It seems to run ok in the truck with a lead addative but the exhaust smells differnt. I dont know if its in all the grades or just the low grade watered down garbage. If its in the premium ill be pissed.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
There's only one station I know of that still does 100% gasoline and that's the Conoco/Phillips 66 stations. That's the only place I filled up in TN and it may have been a mental thing, but I always felt I could tell the difference as soon as I needed to refill with NC gas when I came home. Now that I'm back in NC, I don't know of a place anywhere near me that doesn't have at least some Ethanol content. Pilot has 15%, Shell has 10%, and BP has 7%. So I try to fill up at BP as often as possible.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Our state dropped the labeling requirements in 2002, so you never know unless you ask. They mandated the sale of E10 fuel in places where it would be cheaper than pure gasoline. Basically everyone sells E10 now in Missouri.

Ryan

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
pretty much everywhere here sells both. Ethanol is 10 cents cheaper per gallon usually.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
While we're talking about gas and prices of 100% gasoline vs. ethanol, I have a few questions:

1) The price of 100% gasoline would be 2-3 cents more expensive than the ethanol blend in Knoxville. I get and understand that 100% gasoline goes for more per gallon, but doesn't adding/blending gas add more steps which should make it cost more? Or is it that ethanol is just that cheap?

2) The 100% stuff I'd get in Knoxville would always be 15-20 cents cheaper than anything NC had. It was like an invisible price hike when you hit the state border, a result of an extra state tax? If not, why would NC gas be more expensive than TN gas, TN is further inland, thusly requiring more transportation and more cost.

3) I'm sick and tired of hearing that gas stations don't set their own prices or they're not turning much of a profit. If they weren't, how on earth can you justify a BP gas station charging $2.84 a gallon, but a mile or two up the road another BP is selling for $2.79 a gallon and the first store is always consistently higher. I know the transportation costs for that extra mile don't account for 5 cents a gallon at the pump.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
2) The 100% stuff I'd get in Knoxville would always be 15-20 cents cheaper than anything NC had. It was like an invisible price hike when you hit the state border, a result of an extra state tax? If not, why would NC gas be more expensive than TN gas, TN is further inland, thusly requiring more transportation and more cost.

The tax idea is probably the answer to your own question. The folks from Kansas always fill up when they are on the Missouri side because there is a $0.05-$0.06 higher tax per gallon of fuel. If you are on State Line Road, there aren't any gas stations on the Kansas side because they simply cannot compete with their Missouri counterparts without the same tax levels. That's probably the same thing that's going on down there.

Ryan

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
E10 everywhere in Oregon, no matter what grade.

Here too s far as I know. And isn't Oregon the other state that can't pump their own gas? We can't LOL

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
it shld b optional at the pump like the diff octane levels..100% gasoline then like reg unleaded 87 octane watered down stuff then like 80 n 91 n diesel...but noo..i guess its too hard...if i had a way to refine crude oil into gasoline id do it...i got quite a few pump jacks on my land i could just hook up too....one of the good things abt texas...surplus of oil....i guess thts y gas is fairly cheap here...last week when i filled up the 84 it was 2.61

Fellro

Staff member
Well, we have had it here in Iowa since 1982... I run it regularly, then on occasion, I have gone ahead and blended my own or hit the preblending pumps when available and kick it up to 30-40%. On my current daily, I had about a 1-2 mpg change running 30%. I have changed off the E-10 on occasion to see (or prove) if the mileage changes, and I actually lost going to the 87 which was not E10. I keep track of every tank's mileage, so I am not just guessing, it is documented. I also don't see fuel system problems from it either. Say what you want, I stand by my records.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
would the ethanol blend cause more buildup than 100% gas? i would assume so

Fellro

Staff member
How so??? It is more of a solvent. I have taken the carb on my TA apart after the choke broke off, and was clean as could be. The throttle bodies on the cars have been perfectly clean as well. Regular gasoline without ethanol will varnish up more.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Havent really checked the mileage on it yet I usually drive it to work thursday and friday since I can only get three trips back and forth out of a tank. Ill be chaeckin the other stations out around here and by work and see if its differnt.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Some stations have it, some don't.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts