Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Which would you guys trust?

Bought a digital gauge a little earlier and it is on the mark with Accu Gage. The two sticks maintain their 2-3 PSI overstatement so the trash is their reward. Nothing worse than thinking that you have more air in your tires than you actually do.

As long as they aint flat.

I know I may be a little OCD about air pressure but a 2 years ago this happened to me on a tire that didnt look flat but didnt have the correct pressure in it:

flattire005.jpg

flattire002.jpg

This tire was only purchased maybe 6 months prior.

Last edited:

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
A tire gauge like this:

218TND4N37L._SL500_AA252_.jpg

Or one of these:

118368175429.jpg

I am curious to see the answers and will explain my situation later. Also, what do you guys think about gauge accuracy?

The stick gauge.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Drop a stick gauge, no big deal it will not compromise the accuracy. Drop a dial gauge and the bordon tube gets compromised. No matter the gauge you are using, if you cannot calibrate it or check it against a known constant none are any better than the other. Now if you bought an nist digital gauge from Grainger for $400, yeah I would absolutly say the digital was more accurate. Dial test gauges that are calibrateable and nist certified are as accurate or more accurate than the digital's.

Drop a stick gauge, no big deal it will not compromise the accuracy. Drop a dial gauge and the bordon tube gets compromised. No matter the gauge you are using, if you cannot calibrate it or check it against a known constant none are any better than the other. Now if you bought an nist digital gauge from Grainger for $400, yeah I would absolutly say the digital was more accurate. Dial test gauges that are calibrateable and nist certified are as accurate or more accurate than the digital's.

What kind of gauge do you use, and how do you check its accuracy? I dont think I am insane enough for the $400 guage yet.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
What kind of gauge do you use, and how do you check its accuracy? I dont think I am insane enough for the $400 guage yet.
Thats my whole point, if you check your tire pressure more than you do your gauge, you wil never run into problems. I use a stick that I check against a brand new dial gauge that stays in my toolbox.

Funny, I brought the dial gauge I bought yesterday inside so it dosent get hot or bumped and planned on testing my digitals against it.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I prefer, and use, a dial gauge (I've had it for 27 years and I haven't dropped it yet). I don't agree that digital is by default more accurate as the transducer/sensor that changes air pressure into probably a variable resistance output has room for error. If it's giving inaccurate readings from the get go, then it will obviously continue to give inaccurate readings. Ultimately, Lester brings up the most important point, namely that if you want to be uber precise you need to compare your gauge of choice against one that's proven to be accurate. Then, if you're really into it, you will check your gauge against the proven accurate gauge periodically. Just like you should do with your torque wrench if you want to be uber precise.

Last edited:

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I trust nothing and question everything.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
So how do you decide whether or not your tires need air?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I just fill them until they burst, then let a little out.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
So how do you decide whether or not your tires need air?

I check them on or about the first of the month or before any continuous drive > 200 miles. If I'm hauling a yard of crushed rock I air em' up to 50 psi before I load up. I check them in the morning, when they're cool.

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
^^^ what he said. Most of my driving is longer trips, so I check them before I leave, just habit.

FTF'er
The slime 0-50 says 37 PSI, the slime 20-120 says 36 PSI and the Accu says 34 PSI.
The tire looses some air each time you put the gauge on it... that's a lot of gauging! (Just being sarcastic... smilieneenar )

Ford Truck Articles