Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Which type transmission fluid goes where?

I run with scissors.

Ok, I get confused on this... I have a '79 F150 2wd with power steering and a C6.

Which type transmission fluid goes in the power steering?

Which type transmission fluid goes in the transmission?

The steering leaks, but the trans is fine.

I'm going to write the info on paper and keep it in the truck. :)

Usually, the transmission dipstick has the type of fluid stamped into it.

I may be totally wrong here, but whatever is used in the transmissions, is what I have always used in the power steering.

masterbeavis

California Chapter member
I have heard that nowadays, today's ATF is not suitable for use in power steering systems, the fluids are supposedly different. (friction modifiers??) I have also heard people say they use ATF and have no issues. I personally use Power Steering fluid. I like it because its clear, and you can tell when its dirty sooner. When it leaks, you can tell the difference between it and the trans fluid.

I have also heard.... If your transmission has been rebuilt in the past, chances are that the clutches will tolerate either fluid, as long as you do not mix them, or switch what kind of fluid was being used. Personally, on my older rigs, when I do the ATF, I just go to Walmart and buy 3 jugs of the Tech-2000 stuff (re badged Penzoil more than likely) do a poor mans flush, filter and pan gasket, drain plug/external filter/external cooler if I haven't put one on yet, call it a day. I have had no problems yet on properly maintained, healthy transmissions. I did have one trans go bad after I did a flush, but it was a used junkyard unit with unknown mileage that started slipping prior to the flush.

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
On the new motorcraft type f trans fluid bottles, it plainly says "acceptable for power steering systems". That old of a vehicle, I think type f will be ok for both trans and p/s use.

Dexron II,III,IV or Mercur for the Transmission......."Nothing Else"

Plastic Ford Pwr steering pump - Type F.

1979LubricationProducts2.jpg

Last edited:

I run with scissors.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to write down the info and keep it in the truck if I can't remember it.

I need to get some Type F fluid now...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts