Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Which Transmission?

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Welp, my factory 164k automatic has started failing me today...slipping from OD to 2nd gear at 65 MPH is not my idea of fun. So, now I'm looking for a standard. I'm just trying to decide between 4spd granny and a 5 speeds trans.....with 3.55 gears what would the final drive ratio be with each? Also, what RPM range I can expect. Anybody else's input is great......Thanks.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
How do you use the truck?

For the way I use my rigs, a 5-speed would work a whole lot better than the 4-speed...and I don't haul heavy loads all that often.

*For cruising RPM numbers, you're gonna need to post your tire size, too.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Just a daily driver for the most part...every once in awhile, I haul somethings fairly heavy in the bed or on the trailer...plus I'm always getting called into the woods for pull-out duty.Oh 235/75/15.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
I'll sell you a stock 1/2 ton 5 speed

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
4wd actually. But you could run the T case in 2HI and then if you ever decide to throw an axle up front youd be all set lol

just my thoughts dummy , LEAVE IT ALONE the new MLPS fixed your prob, but you' ve already ordered your clutch and flywheel. dummy:hammer: :headbang:

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID

Ford Truck Articles