Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Which tailgate should I get?

Which tailgate should I get?

• Total voters

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
With panel is my vote

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Damn... Sure seems like "with panel" is the preference here. Y'all are gonna cost me a buncha money 'smiliedoh' :rofl:

I can get the panel that my truck originally had (with the FORD block letters on the right side) brand new from Dennis Carpenter for $350. Then the gate with panel holes will cost me $450 from a dismantler. No-panel gate will cost me about $350 from the dismanters-- so we're talking about $450 that I can potentially pocket or put towards better parts.

Insurance also only gave me enough money to redo the Line-X on JUST the tailgate... Meaning that if I want it to match the rest of my truck bed I'll have to pay the extra $200-300 to have the rest of my bed top-coated with a fresh coat of line-x. I could potentially put the extra gate money towards that.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
You can blame the high prices for all the parts being shipped to east coast . HAHA

But thats crazy for a gate with holes being $100 more.

Its only 20 minutes work to put holes in at most .

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Chris...I know it'll sting, but the truck looks waaaaaaaay better with the finish panel. I went through the same dilemma with Thunder, and without the panel it looked too utilitarian.

As for the bed liner...I don't think color matching a bed liner would matter too much to me. If it were me and I, for some reason, did become worried about color matching the bed liner, I'd go grab some rattle cans, mask off the area you want to match...and just keep doing that until the new stuff is on the tailgate fades appropriately. I figure that approach could keep $300 in your pocket.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
without the panel makes the truck look cleaner, with the panel it looks like theres too much goin on on the back of the truck so i say without it

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Dated the truck wtf are you talking about....

My buddys 92 came with a brushed panel...my 96 has one...so that covers 100% of the generation for a f150 (f250 97 blah blah) i like the no panel look way freaking better.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Dated the truck wtf are you talking about....

My buddys 92 came with a brushed panel...my 96 has one...so that covers 100% of the generation for a f150 (f250 97 blah blah) i like the no panel look way freaking better.
Dating it means that it makes it look older.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
To be honest, I think the new panel gates on the new trucks are OOOOOOGLAY!! I don't mind them on gen 9s but they look horrid on the new stuff. They're all round and curvy and junk.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
To be honest, I think the new panel gates on the new trucks are OOOOOOGLAY!! I don't mind them on gen 9s but they look horrid on the new stuff. They're all round and curvy and junk.

:rofl: :rofl2: That's funny. :p I like 'em.

And besides.... what's wrong with 'dating' the truck? I mean someone brought that up but what's wrong with driving a 92-96 f150? It is what it is.

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well... Generally people who don't appreciate and older trucks like we do will think "oh it's old so it's junky." I've had a lot of people get into my truck and go "whoa this actually looks pretty modern inside." Guess the outside makes it look old? [confused] It's the same mentality that makes everyone slam our doors when they get out of our trucks-- "oh it's old so the doors need to be slammed to close properly." Not mine! My doors close easier than my brother's 09 Super Duty, no joke.

I honestly think the styling of a gen 9 is pretty modern looking for a 15 year old truck, especially since the newer vehicles are returning to retro styling nowadays. But there are aspects of these older trucks that just "date" them, and I feel like the panel is one of them.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
The real question is why you give two flips if anyone thinks your truck looks "dated" or not?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Cuz I'm proud of my truck. I want it to look good, and I want people to see it and think "mann nice truck." Who wants to drive around a crap wagon that people think is a piece of crap?

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Who wants to drive around a crap wagon that people think is a piece of crap?

I always figure there's really only one person who has to like my trucks. The rest of the world can go screw a duck, for all I care.

Make it what you're happy with.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
And I agree Ian-- I only put stuff on my truck that I think looks good. It doesn't boil down to what people will think of it. At the same time, we can all walk around and act macho and say "i dont care what people think!" But if we really didn't care then why would we bother with even having nice paint on our cars? Paint color doesnt have much function...

In the case of this tailgate panel-- it just so happens that I don't think I prefer one over the other, so I was kind of using the poll as a tie-breaker for me.

Cuz I'm proud of my truck. I want it to look good, and I want people to see it and think "mann nice truck." Who wants to drive around a crap wagon that people think is a piece of crap?

I would actually do that if I wanted to drive a sleeper so that when people say wow what a POS, I could blow their doors off with my big block lol

Cope&Dies

gab-d a snaks
i think you should use the panel thats sitting in your moms garage. you know, with the DIME SIZED dent on it. its just sitting there waiting to be put back on. save some cash for a giant iphone purchase and call it a day.
little beass and a shot a json
CLARK

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I think this should make the decision.
IMG_0927.jpg

Ford Truck Articles