Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Which do you prefer to drive...

Which do you prefer to drive...

• Front wheel drive vehicle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
RWD for most applications, esp Mustangs and trucks.

My wife loves the AWD in her Fusion and I can't fault it for all road conditions in a sedan.

4WD is for getting myself unstuck when RWD fails to get me back out of the woods - or those times when the roads are snowpacked.

They make chains for ice and I use mine on the truck about 5 times every winter. Siping is good; studs are for people who don't want, can't, or know how to put on chains.

I don't care for handling in FWD cars - only advantage they have is the weight over the drive wheels. My first exposure to it was an '80 Plymouth Horizon that I bought new... and a few others since then.

On that note, I just put a set of
logo_michelin.gif
X-Ice Xi2 on the Grand Marquis. Now that I'm working in east county, at the mouth of the Columbia Gorge, handling in ice and snow becomes a much higher priority. Be interesting to see how these things do.

racsan

4xford
RWD. love my 4x ranger in the snow though. i do use weight , even with having 4wd. i like to have the hubs locked in but use 2H until i know just how bad the road conditions really are, then hit the button for 4wd. just using 4wd right off the bat can give you a false sence of security and you dont realize how slick it might really be, then your in trouble when you have to stop and you slide instead. we had a taurus (fwd) for a few years, was good in snow if you had good tires on it. wife has a 4wd S-blazer now, it doesnt do bad but is a bit dangerous if your in 2wd on snow, that short wheelbase comes around quicker than you can react to if the back end starts to get away from you, dont have that issue in my supercab ranger.

As worded...RWD,(I read AWD as that crap I have in the AWD Astro..can't switch, though it's a traction monster for a Chevy) but if it includes 4wd by selection....hands down 4wd every season...I play in the mud, sand, snow, water....

Ford Truck Articles