Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Which aftermarket auto shifter?

purecountry

Tennessee Chapter member
I have a 78 f-150, that I'm currently building a dove-c headed, 10:1, .60 over 460 for. I'm going to be doing some trans work also and that includes a reverse manual valve body. My question is, which shifter should I use, That will allow me to retain my bench seat and still have good access to shift with. Id prefer a ratchet style shifter if possible. Its a 4x4 so the transfer case shifter has to be taken into account too. I want something that will be in easy reach, and can be shifted quickly, so that the old truck is still a pleasure to hot rod around. Thanks Lcpl Duncan

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again

purecountry

Tennessee Chapter member
Just to the right, or just to the left? Well even easier, to the drivers side, or passenger side of the 4x4 shifter. And is that a ratchet style shifter? It doesnt really say. Thank you for the recommendation. Anyone have a pic of a aftermarket shifter in one of these trucks?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I'm thinking I've seen them mounted to the right of the 4x4 shifter or toward the passenger side. I know I've seen pics of them and I'll see if I can find some.

purecountry

Tennessee Chapter member
Yeah if you can find a picture, I'd love to see it. I just can't see how it wouldn't be to far of a reach, I need a shifter I can keep my hand on to shift it back and forth.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Yeah if you can find a picture, I'd love to see it. I just can't see how it wouldn't be to far of a reach, I need a shifter I can keep my hand on to shift it back and forth.

I thought that exactly when I saw it mounted on the right side. It would take some fabrication, but if you can weld a little bit, it wouldn't be hard to make a mounting bracket for the left side of the 4x4 shifter so the tranny shifter can sit square on the floor. That's what I'd personally do so you have it just "right there" and comfortable to shift. Plus, you can set the height a bit more if you wanted. I've see that done. There isn't enough "flat" surface to the left of the 4x4 shifter so I think that's why some guys mount it on the right. But, I'll still try to find some pics.

purecountry

Tennessee Chapter member
Hmmmmmmmm. I get back home from Japan I'll figure something out. Maybe cut and weld the x-case shifter so its to the right. Or maybe Ill just quit being diffcult and install good buckets. Would one of the places that makes custom raceing benches, be able to leave a cutout for the shifter in one?? Be kinda cool

Fellro

Staff member
This is what I generally think of when people swap in floor shifters in trucks. The other would work if you build a bit of a pedestal for it for elevation. They don't really say how long the handle is on it, but the Indy is definitely a longer handle.

if you guys get some pics of some of those shifters installed i would like to see em. I shift my C6 manually quite a bit, its a blast to shift from 1-2 at 4500rpm smilietease Its not bad shifting it with the stock shifter but i am thinking about upgrading.

Also, i have about $4k in my engine, and today I am doing a $40 rattle can paint job. My priorities are in order lol. I am using Ford Blue tractor and implement paint. Flat black on the flat bed. Hopefully it will hold up to the mud and weather for a while. I will post pics tonight after it dries, tape is removed etc etc.

Last edited:
B&M Megashifter with a bench seat. Yes it can be used as a rachet shifter and has reverse lockout.

P1000955.jpg

P1000965.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts