Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Where to get new rear leafs from?

FTF'er
One of the rear springs on my '77.5 F250 4x4 has a broken leaf. Is there any truck, maybe a newer model, that I can get the rear spring from?

Can I use a 2.5" wide spring if I use spacers to take up the 1/2" difference?

I have some 63" Chevy springs in the garage, but I'm not really wanting to move the spring hangers... but I'm starting to consider it since the Chevy springs are pretty strong.`

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I say no to the spacer idea.

I know that JC Whitney and LMC (and many others) sell stock height replacement springs.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Go to local heavy truck shop. They can get you all springs separate or ready to go . As the manufacturer probably makes for light truck also.

A local wreckers should have ready to go after market spring packs . Least every state I lived in the wreckers did . .

Any the right width will work . But willing to bet the MAin leaf is tired . And More than once I took apart to replace spring leaf only to have next one break in couple weeks .

Good luck on search

FTF'er
Well crap... JBG is where I was thinking of ordering them from.

And yea, every leaf in the pack looks to be tired.

The more I dig into this truck, the less enthusiastic I become about working on it... there's like a billion things wrong with it. :rolleyes:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I still have the JBG springs on mine, but the things are weak as sin. I had to put an add-a-leaf in there to keep the shackle bolt from rubbing a groove in the shackle hanger. Now they are stiff as a board... no happy medium.

Ryan

lostinfords

New Jersey Chapter member
spring pack from a later model...ie...88 f350 cab/chassis are the same...I took a set from a 74 crew cab 4x4 and installed them into my 88 f350, the springs were re-done in the 74 and the 88's bushings were wasted...direct bolt in swap..don't quote me but I think up to '96, as long as it is a cab and chassis w/ the 2.5" wide springs...where you at?/.. the problem w/ the springs from my 88 were the bushings,,,,all else is good, available if needed

FTF'er
Here are the spacers I'm talking about http://diy4x.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=24&product_id=107 The Chevy guys use them quite a bit to put their rear springs in the front.

JBG has weak springs? That won't work since hauling a gooseneck trailer is in the plans for this truck. I may give St. Louis Spring a call and see what they can do. They built some strong leaf packs for a lot of trucks where I'm from.

I've got the 3" springs on mine, and it seems like every old 4x4 dentside I've had has had a broken/messed up leaf pack. Maybe it's because of the block? maybe not? Who knows, but all of the 2.5" rear springs I've seen have always been in a lot better condition. And don't forget the 2.25" springs that were used on chassis cabs like my '76 F350 was.

The front leafs on this truck need replaced also... someone has added an add-a-leaf and WELDED a clamp to the main leaf of the spring pack!

It may be cheaper/easier to just buy a lift kit, as long as the new rear leafs are up to hauling heavy trailers.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts