Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

wheels polishing.. progress ( need some tips )

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
im polishing the wheels..
its going well by hand but hell its allot of work.. any custom tools i can make and use??

before
DSC01578.jpg

i started with the lip
half way
DSC01587.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
hmm no i dont think they are coated.. im using this

DSC01588.jpg

it works good.. if only i had proper tools.. im just using 100% cotton cloth right now.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I like the mothers polishing ball for the end of a drill. I use it on mine all the time! get the one with the extension so you can reach down in those wheels.

I picked up one of the smaller mothers polshing balls last month for m,y truck. They are around $20 and you can use them in a drill. I have a battery drill that I will use.

No...I have not used the ball yet.

I also picked up a couple of the shot gun cleaning buffs (or whatever they are called) to use for smaller areas. They are about 2.5" long. I think I paid less than $5 for 3 of them.

More power! RRRR RRRR RRRR (maybe you did not get that show down there). If you didn't, the joke is lost on you. Sorry.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I used Flitz and their own polishing ball. 20x better than the mothers polishing ball. You'll need Flitz (or something more coarse) to cut through that crud. After 2 years of ND winters the wheels on my 79 where looking worse than the ones pictured. An afternoon of polishin with Flitz and a corded electric drill brought back the shine.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey Lee...I've been meaning to ask you, where did you pick up your flitz? I can't find them in stores anywhere. And yours is the yellow one (iirc from a thread), and the only ones I can find online are the blue ones...you know if they're any different? The reason I wanna get the flitz is because it's cloth and doesn't deteriorate or tear like the foam mothers balls.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^

platinum01

Missouri Chapter member
on the flitz link you can get the stuff used? no thank you :flipoff: i'll take a new one. i use mothers mag and wheel polish. it still takes some elbow greese but the finished product is great.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Nice to see your light lit again bud!

platinum01

Missouri Chapter member
yeah i decided not to heed the warnings about getting married and having kids. so there is not alot of time for this stuff.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I hear ya! try being outta town for four days at a time with no internet!

I just finished a set of Scorpio Welds a few months ago. The looked pretty rough when I bought them but with a lot of work they looked new again.

This is what a started with
CL022.jpg

CL020.jpg

I took some 800 grit wet sand paper and worked all they way up to ultra fine. I have a 8in wheel buffer that I used white rouge to polish with. A drill with a firm buffing pad will work just as good but might take a little longer. And for the back I took a soft bristle wire wheel on a 4in grinder to remove all the crud
After sanding
CL014.jpg

CL001.jpg

Here you can see the difference.
CL024.jpg

The finished project. It took me about 3-4 hours to finish
CL025.jpg

I did the stainless caps the same way
CL027.jpg

Backside
CL028.jpg

dixie_boysles

Joshua 24:15
MA, NC
you just need to sand on them with fine grit sandpaper and polish with a Powerball Cone ($20 at walmart)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts