Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wheel width and backspacing

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
So time for some 33x12.5x15 swampers to wander onto the F150..
i need new wheels because the stock ones are at the limit of their capapbilites with the current 31x10.5's (which actually measure 27x10...LAME)

So anyways, i want to keep a 15" rim, but just wanna ask if yall think a 10" wide rim is best for a 12.5" tire (these tires will get aired down to no less than 1/4 pressure while offroading) Im afraid that if i go any narrower i'l be blowing the bead while aired down.

O yea, should 3.75" of backspacing be good to allow me to turn with minimal rub on the radius arms at full lock (this truck has front end lifted 2" to level it, no other suspension or baddy lifts)

TIA yall!:wavey:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
15x10 sound good to me. A narrower wheel will give you a narrower footprint, which you don't want anyway. The 3.75 backspacing should be fine too.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Yes 15x10 will be your best choice for the 33x12.5. The 10 wide will fill the tire out and wont make it look all bulged on the sidewall, if you had a more narrow wheel. About the backspacing I cant help you there. Just for a note. With a 10 wide wheel expect the wheel and tire to stick out in the front. On my F350 with the 16.5x10 on the tire does stick out a bit. I didnt pass NJ inspection with them on and all, guy was like I like your truck so ill let it slide. Sweet.

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Ha thanks guys,. and i dont have inspection here so thats a moot point!

I know its going to stick out the question is how far... (dun dun duunn) i'l have to wait and see, maybe i'l throw some fender flares on if it looks bad. If not im going to do the bed liner flares like you did Chris, cause that looks badazz!

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Uhg im also gunna have to regear to push those tires decently with the little 302. What ratio would yall say? keep in mind its a long bed/extended cab that weighs 5300lbs and it gets loaded down alot for work (though i would probably swap back on the smaller AT tires to haul anything more than one ton). Im thinkin that 4.10s would be best, and maybe even 4.56's considering the weight of the truck.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Thanks man lol. Yea they didnt stick out like super far. Let me see if I got a front pic that shows it.

EDIT:
Ok here is a pic when I had 16.5x7.25's on, yea I know super wierd size. They were free so I wasnt going to argue.
3.jpg

Here is with the 16.5x10's You can see the difference in the bumper.
IMG_0122.jpg

Last edited:

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
on my truck im running 15x8's with 33/12.5/15 BFG A/T and its doing fine for now, there WILL be a little bit of rubbing against the radius arms though at max turn

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I got 4:10's stock, and with the 36's I did lose my speed, but I was able to pull and haul anything. Id say see how it does with the 33's 1st, then decide on ratio. I know there was a site that shows what ratios and tires are best.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I got 4:10's stock, and with the 36's I did lose my speed, but I was able to pull and haul anything. Id say see how it does with the 33's 1st, then decide on ratio. I know there was a site that shows what ratios and tires are best.
I believe my tires are 33/10.5s on 15x8 wheels and it works fine. As some of you also know I changed my gear ratio from 3.55s to 4.10s and it made a world of difference. Here's that chart you were talking about Mus.

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
I had to trim the lip of the bumper to get 32 X 11.50's on there, now there is no problem with rubbing at all. Could have gotten 33's , but didn't want to have pay the extra $.

Mike

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
I believe my tires are 33/10.5s on 15x8 wheels and it works fine. As some of you also know I changed my gear ratio from 3.55s to 4.10s and it made a world of difference. Here's that chart you were talking about Mus.

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm
That is a skinny wheel there, my wheels are 15 X 11. but yours look good , all that matters.

Mike

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
you trimmed the lip of the bumper?

I know the mounting brackets on the back of the bumper give you room to slide it up or down. I hope you tried that first...

Ryan

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
You cant really slide it up or down to get the tire not to hit. Here are some pics of hot I trimmed it. You cant tell from the outside that its even cut.
RightBumperoutercut.jpg

Leftbumperoutercut.jpg

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Im building a custon front winch bumper this weekend that wont have the wrapparound part on the sides so they will definantly fit. And some rub on radius arms is fine, im used to that happening now

msb71

Virginia Chapter Leader
Hampton,VA
you trimmed the lip of the bumper?

I know the mounting brackets on the back of the bumper give you room to slide it up or down. I hope you tried that first...

Ryan
I did exactly as 95350Xl did, took all of 10 minutes . can't even tell I did it. They only rubbed when I went in to reverse and had the wheel turned.If wanted to put 33's on I would have spaced the bumper.

Mike

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts