Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wheel Bearing

Michigan
It would help if those pictures would show up on that email. There is only one nut and that is where i use the tool. Its not the tool with the 4 prongs, its like a star.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
It would help if those pictures would show up on that email. There is only one nut and that is where i use the tool. Its not the tool with the 4 prongs, its like a star.

Yeah I don't know what the deal with the pics is. Ok well if you have only one nut it's still the same, 50 and back off 1/4. I'll send the pic's again see if they work this time.

Michigan
Ok im gonna go out there and do it. Il let you know how everything went. Thanks for your help.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Ok lemme know how you make out. Wow those are small!! I emailed the pics again.

Attachments

• bearings.jpg
  • bearings1.gif

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hey Mike... You don't have the two spindle nuts and the lockring with the holes in it?? You should installed a conversion kit when you converted from auto hubs to manuals...

Michigan
Yes has a star nut, with that half moon clip that has that one pin. Il post up pics as soon as i get my fat ass up and get the camera, well thats all that i have. I bought my truck with the hubs already installed, as well as my original autos that where in A1 condition! I think i was stupid and threw em out..... I took the passengers side back apart, cussed more at that stupid clip that goes all the way around the hub, and i re did the torque. Seams pretty good, didnt do the drivers side becasue thats pretty stirdy still lol. I gotta get my new hub o rings from the dealer tomorrow.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Mike that sounds like a really shady setup... If the previous owner converted from autos to warn manuals then you should DEFINITELY have a spindle nut conversion kit. The conversion kit just includes 2 spindle nuts (the 4 pronged spindle nut tool drives these) and a lockring that is sandwiched between them. The spindle nuts replace the 'star nut' and half-moon pin that you've got in there now, and also deletes the 3-piece thrust washer set. Here's a diagram of what I'm talking about:
AutoHubExploded.png

Everything from 'wheel retainer' to 'retaining ring' gets removed and thrown out, and the hublock assembly gets replaced with the manual assembly of course. If you have ANY of those parts in your hubs then you are not setup correctly. All of those parts should be deleted and replaced with this spindle nut kit:
http://quad4x4.com/images/qk4727.jpg

Michigan
Heres that clip that holds the Star Nut way in there in, a big pain in the arse trying to line up the holes..

100_3161.jpg

Heres the tool

100_3163.jpg

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yup, thats the lockring key the slides into the wheel retainer. You shouldn't have with your Warn manuals dude... Show me a picture of your switches on the lockouts, I wanna see what they look like.

Michigan
Yes thats it. Other than the thrustwashers and the cam assembly.

Heres the inside, i shoulda taken a pic of it cleaned up...

100_3158.jpg

Michigan
The whole assembly

100_3156.jpg

The locking gear and spring

100_3153.jpg

Michigan
My Warn Center sticker thing fell off, or the lettering washed off, when i got it they where just white stickers, so i pealed em off.

100_3171.jpg

Michigan
lol sorry man i got dialup lol IM going as fast as i can!

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Yeah six screw caps. I'm almost POSITIVE that those require a conversion kit unless you've got some strange kind of hubs. Are you sure they're Warn?

Michigan
No not 100 percent, but hell they work! lol

Michigan
I installed Warn locking hubs on my dads superduty and they where the same exacty thing, Same assembly after you take the cap off and everything..

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well the superduty might be different. Go on Warn's website and pull up the Warn manual hubs for your truck like you're going to buy them. And on that page it will say YOU MUST INSTALL THE SPINDLE NUT CONVERSION KIT with this hub set.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts