Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

wheel bearing grease

this weekend im going to start replacing the front wheel bearings on my 1990 f250. Can anybody recommend a good grease to use, i do alot of hauling and mudd bogging so i need something water resistent and to be able to out last some hard work. has anybody used GREEN GREASE the articals sound good.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
My (very limited) experience has been that any decent quality grease will work OK so long as you use it right. I don't worry much about brand, only about keeping it clean and getting enough in the right places. Others may have different opinions.

primetime

sawmill slave
smiliewhathesaid If you`re getting them wet you probably already know that they need serviced more often, and that nothing is truly water proof. Synthetic grease seems to hold up a little better, but as long as it`s quality stuff you`ll be alright.

Let`s face it, mud kicks the crap oyt of pads and rotors anyways, so you`ll have plenty of quality time.

Thanks for the input thats kind of what i figured, was just wondering if anybody has used that green grease. Or a product they have noticed to work better than others.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The synthetic I am now using is green, I've just switched to it after using a factory synthetic one...I can let you know how it holds up to water and mud in a few weeks.

We've used Fuchs Renolit wp grease for our dairy farming customers and it seems to keep the cowsh*t and muck out of those seals pretty good ..... even with 16 year old boys thrashing the atv's around the farms.

Primetime was correct on the statement of needing more attention if your putting the truck in mud. I have been competing in mud competitions for 15 years now and have tried several different types of grease. I have found some that work pretty good but the only thing they do is not mix with the water and thin out but the water still gets in there which cause premature bearing failure or rust pits where you really dont want them. On my chevy I use a heavy red grease, but on my ford I just use the grey grease that ford recommends. I tried the heavy red grease in my ford and ruined a set of bearings cause it was to thick. I just repack my bearings constantly. I will usually pull the lock outs off my truck and look up inside, if I see any moisture I go ahead and repack. Ive been 4 years on the same set of bearings but I repack about every 2 to 3 months.

thanks for the info dukes and everybody else. i ended up using the lucas brand red grease, its definnetly thicker than the grey grease. lets see what happens in a few months hope it holds up ok.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I use black moly grease on my trucks... The thing I look for in a bearing grease that everyone forgets about is "cling" for lack of a better term... That red grease is thick but doesn't cling well... Kinda squeezes out easily. the black moly, when you stick your finger in it, brings half the tub with you, because it's sticky and clingy. I use it On everything ... Trailer balls and hitch bars, fifth wheels... It stays put amazingly well.

I just figured that lucas was a good brand so i went with it, like i said i hope it holds up ok. It seems to be running great, in a few months i plan on replacin my locking hubs with some warns, ive always noticed i have two different hubs on the truck and it kind of threw me off while disassembling them so i want to do the same on each side. So ill check the bearing status when i get there. Im also lookin at a tuff country 4" lift any inputs.

By the way m 78 thats a nice truck in the pic ive always loved that body style just hard to come by in my area. I was looking for a four door when i got mine with no luck so i went with my next favorite body style. Plus i got it from an old guy that would haul rock with 80000 original miles couldnt pass it up. Plus it has the heavy duty package and upgraded cooling system for towing. It also was the same color as yours before i bedlined it.

By the way m 78 thats a nice truck in the pic ive always loved that body style just hard to come by in my area. I was looking for a four door when i got mine with no luck so i went with my next favorite body style. Plus i got it from an old guy that would haul rock with 80000 original miles couldnt pass it up. Plus it has the heavy duty package and upgraded cooling system for towing. It also was the same color as yours before i bedlined it.

Thanks. I looked for 15 -16 months before I found this one.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts