Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

whats the best way....

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
....to keep the inner and outer tie rod ends, drag links from stripping or the ball going round and round when you loosen and tighten them back up after adjusting???? i heard you just need to keep em lubed up....????

ps. not talking about the sleeves

Fellro

Staff member
Pressure. Speed is good too, and impact with pressure typically gets them off, going on, just pressure from like a pry bar across the tie rod end will generally get it. DO NOT GREASE THEM!!!! That makes it to where the friction won't hold them back, and you will not get them tight. If re using the tie rod end, lube the threads, but not the contact area in the spindle.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
Pressure. Speed is good too, and impact with pressure typically gets them off, going on, just pressure from like a pry bar across the tie rod end will generally get it. DO NOT GREASE THEM!!!! That makes it to where the friction won't hold them back, and you will not get them tight. If re using the tie rod end, lube the threads, but not the contact area in the spindle.

alright good info man i never knew the ends would lose their strength like that till i messed up my superlift steering system

Fellro

Staff member
It really isn't loss of strength, it is loss of resistance. The pressure increases friction, which resists the motion, that is all it is to it. Less resistance, the pivot spins, more resistance, the pivot stays stationary, allowing the thread to put tension on the pivot. Think of the pivot ball as a bolt, and the back side is blind, how would you hold it from turning? Pull on it to make friction.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
It really isn't loss of strength, it is loss of resistance. The pressure increases friction, which resists the motion, that is all it is to it. Less resistance, the pivot spins, more resistance, the pivot stays stationary, allowing the thread to put tension on the pivot. Think of the pivot ball as a bolt, and the back side is blind, how would you hold it from turning? Pull on it to make friction.

Once again you really tell it resistance was the word i was looking for. Good info because my truck os getting its frame bent back and really dont want to waste cash cant wait til tommorow

I've only had trouble with the ball turning after I'd hammered it out
(with the nut on it etc) then later putting it back together and had
forgot to clean-up the threads so the nut goes on with my fingers.

Using a jack to put pressure up under it so the taper will grip was
posted by many on Fordification as their favorite method. Hammer
mechanic-ing it back tight first is another me and many others have
tried with some success too. LOL :) Neither of those work anywhere
near as good as making the nut turn down nice and easy tho.

Someday I'd like to get an "Ace Hammer Mechanic" recognition but
not real sure how to go about it or if I'd even qualify yet.

Fixed myself an 8 pound single jack so I guess I'm part way there?
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12/zf4.jpg

How you guys coming along making it to "Ace Hammer Mechanic"? :)

Alvin in AZ

Fellro

Staff member
I have had some that started to spin on removal. There wasn't enough pressure I could get on them to get them to stop. Luckily i was replacing it anyway, so they got cut off... I rarely hammer on the tie rod end itself, if you hit the spindle on side around the tie rod end, it usually pops them out.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
ha hammer mechanic.... im almost there with the many things i do to my truck, and everyone else's, putting pressure occurred to me but hadnt got to it idk why????

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts