Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

whats the best way to put valve covers on

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I use some stuff called great stuff its black and it is the absolute best sealant ive ever used. I put it on the valve cover then put the gasket on and then another layer of sealant. It comes in either a regular caulking gun size tube or a mini size one. I also spread it out with a popsicle stick so it dont squeeze out.

i use rubber gaskets and no sealer. what i found helps with the floppy rubber gaskets, is to stick the bolts through the valve cover and the gasket that way they hold everything in place, this usually works because the bolt is usually ever so slightly larger than the hole.

bigun72

XLT= Xtra Loud Truck
when i rebuilt my motor i used rubber gaskets.....they suck

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
what i found helps with the floppy rubber gaskets, is to stick the bolts through the valve cover and the gasket that way they hold everything in place, this usually works because the bolt is usually ever so slightly larger than the hole.

I tried 4 studs (chopped off longer bolts) on each cover and they still wouldn't stay in place. That's when the swearing and finally the wire came out! I remember reading about it in Four Wheeler some years back, it works!!!

I'm old school.

I use cork gaskets soaked in warm water for an hour, then apply coppercoat to the valve cover side of the gasket and a little on the valve cover itself...once they are tacky I place the gasket on the valve cover..then apply it to the head..being careful not to tighten too much.

i never use sealer on rubber unless a damaged the gasket and need to drive to the parts house for new ones. i always use sealer on cork, it makes it possible to remove the cork gaskets without a scraper.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts