Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

whats the best way to put valve covers on

hey i have new valve covers and im wondering whats the best way to put my valve covers on so ik they wont leak any post will help thank you

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
I recommend gaskets... and bolts... Gaskets and bolts should work.

While I agree with a couple above....I've always done RTV on the bottom of the gasket, the head side.....Never had a leak! I use the blue RTV and in all the time I've used it...tougher than woodpecker lips and easy to get off in a maintenance situation...putty knife.
Alternate corners on the fasteners. From corner to corner working to the middle of the valve cover.

My suggestion.
I bet I've put on 50 sets of V-covers...never a leak.

Last edited:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I tie the gaskets to the valve covers with thread. That way they don't shift and not line up. start your bolts and pull the thread out and all is good. I like the felpro silicone gaskets the blue ones.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
are they cork or rubber?and yea that's the way I've done it....I usually do both sides...put some on one side and stick it on the valve cover then let it tack up a bit then stick some rtv on the side as well, the side that faces the head.

iv herd to put rtv on the top side of the gaskit and stick it to the v covers and then put them on like that

That's what I've always done. A small even bead of permatex on the valve cover, plop the gasket on, let it set up a bit and bolt it down.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Last time that I put v/c covers on I used rubber gaskets and had a horrible time getting them to stay in place. I finally took 10ga wire and used single strands of wire to tie the floppy rubber gaskets to the covers. They worked great after that.

Fellro

Staff member
I tend to use either silicone or weatherstrip adhesive to keep them in place. Be sure the holes aren't bowed out either, take a ball peen hammer to the holes and dish them backwards a bit so that when you tighten the bolts, it pulls the metal back down.

I haven't tried the Felpro Permaseal (blue silicone) gaskets yet, but have been strongly considering them...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I like using that Tack stuff thats sold at the auto parts stores, it holds every thing in place and also makes them seal up better :)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts