Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What transmissions will hook up to a 390?

How many years has that engine been sitting there uncovered? Just looking at the crank flange, and flex plate bolts, I'd say it's been there a while.

There is at least one, maybe more, exhaust valves open, and a big hole in the back of the intake manifold.

I can't tell from the picture...does it have spark plugs installed?

See all that crap (dirt, sawdust, ??) on top of the engine? It's gonna be on the inside of the engine as well.

Hope it works out for you, but you might get some surprises when you finally get around to running that engine.:shocked:

It doesnt actually sit like that. It has multiple tarps and blankets over it normally. It has spark plugs in the side that faces away from the wall. It was rebuilt in '90-'91. And has sat there since '99. That grubby **** on the top is when our old cat got up there and ****ing pissed on it... god damn I was mad as hell....

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Last month's Hemmings had an article about a C4 to AOD conversion. It mentioned the early AOD's were actually modified C4's, and in theory it was an almost bolt-up deal, and the tranny's were wrecking-yard matierial. This has been a pretty popular conversion for peeps with older classics that want a more modern drivetrain (and fuel mileage). The transmissions mentioned came out of 80-82 Lincolns, Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, and F100 (NOT 150) pickups.

For what it's worth, the AOD is not very strong in stock form, but it can be made very strong fairly cheaply. I'm not up on Auto trannies per say, but contact a tranny shop and talk to them about it. I know for awhile, there were even some of the chevy and dodge guys getting adaptors for them for drag racing because they could be made so strong. Might be worth looking into, I know you can pick up an AOD pretty cheap at a wrecking yard.

The C4/AOD is highly efficient too compared to C6/E4OD so that is why when the day comes for me to get a new transmission it will have a built AOD.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts