Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What shall I do!!

What shall I do?

• 400 FTW

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • 460 FTW

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters
I was just yanking your chain, Conner...I wasn't trying to stink up Derek's thread...Sorry...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I keep going back and forth....Back and forth....Back and forth... I just can't seem to decide!

Do I...

1: Build a killer 400 out of my healthy low mileage 351M?
2: Build a screaming 460 out of the block I have sitting?

Update:

I myself am leaning toward the 460. No replacement for displacement, right? And like Ryan said, the 460 is such a bad ass motor. Ok, so most will say, just build the 460, but I've heard very good things about the 400. Another thing is cost... I'm looking to spend no more than $5000 in parts. That doesn't sound like a whole lot, but pinching pennies, and finding those great deals will make $5000 go a lonnng way.

I would really love to hear the 400 guys, and why they prefer the 400 over the famous 460

I have to ask a few things man!
Is truck going to be a toy or daily driver!?
If it's a toy then build a monster 460.. If its a daily then I would say go 400, a monster 460 will eat you alive at the pump and wont to to street friendly.

That video was hilarious. Ouch!

Conner. What I'm looking to do is build a motor that I can use at the Tractor/Truck sled pull 1-2 times a year. I would also like to take it out to the hills to do a little "wheeling" with some buddies once in a while. Of course I am still looking to stay street legal, but the truck is not going to be my daily driver. I'm looking for all around performance, I'm not so concerned about the street ability of the truck, and gas mileage will have to bite the dust. Looking to keep compression around 10-10.5:1 or so, gonna run pump gas

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
That video was hilarious. Ouch!

Conner. What I'm looking to do is build a motor that I can use at the Tractor/Truck sled pull 1-2 times a year. I would also like to take it out to the hills to do a little "wheeling" with some buddies once in a while. Of course I am still looking to stay street legal, but the truck is not going to be my daily driver. I'm looking for all around performance, I'm not so concerned about the street ability of the truck, and gas mileage will have to bite the dust. Looking to keep compression around 10.5:1 or so

Go 460 Stroker brother :D
Nothing like the power of a 460 stroker!!!!

I love that clip, the owner was actually a member at the "other place" a long time ago. I have some specs on the truck.

1973 Ford F250 Ranger
460 manual 4x4

612hp stroked 460 (513cid), NP-435 four speed, high pinion Dana 60 front, Dana 70-U rear, 4340 chromoly Superior axles & CTM u-joints, lockers front and rear, twinsticked NP205 transfer case, custom 18" suspension lift & crossover steering, PS (saginaw conversion), PDB, rear mounted radiator, 5.13 gears, 44 Boggers, much other custom fab, and 6mpg on premium.

if i had the money, i would built a 434 screamer, imagin one of those with chi 4v heads...

a 460 has better stroker packages yes, but head flow on a cleveland based head is way better, im asuming even aftermaket heads available for celvelands are way better, so yes cubes are a gain but how fast can you move a big rottating assembly with not so good flowing heads(not so good in comparison to a cleveland head), so whats a 4.125 stroke moving at 7k rpm with an enginered aluminum based cleveland head? still good torque and amazing top end hp.... and good price i might add:434: 2500 stroker kit + 1500 chi bare heads + 1000 in goodies... would a 460 stroker with all strong parts inculded be cheaper? I really dont know... thats were i would look...

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I've always wanted to build a surprising 400, because nobody around here believes!

Ahem, :cool: , I know, own and drive the truth. Check the avitar.

If he had a spool why wwould he be scared of it? I wouldnt think of an idiot who had enough money to build a stroker 514 to leave an open differential on a powerfull enough engine to make a dangerous side burnout on a big brick like that one....

my guess hes new on the pedal or hes saving the truck for something else and scared to break it...

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
If he had a spool why wwould he be scared of it? I wouldnt think of an idiot who had enough money to build a stroker 514 to leave an open differential on a powerfull enough engine to make a dangerous side burnout on a big brick like that one....

my guess hes new on the pedal or hes saving the truck for something else and scared to break it...

*CoughCanadian!*

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
460 all the way, never been a fan of the 351m or cleveland.

havi

third member
I'm all for building the 400 into a 434. But, you say it is a low mile 351M and runs. So I say drive it that way while building the 460, which you already have. Strictly a cost savings approach. And less down time. Of course, that means that you'll need something else to put the 351M in then, lol.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts