Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What kind of oil shoud I use?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
0w30 Synthetic in my rig....I know I'm going to get chit from a lot of you fellas....I spent a lot of time looking into this with my engine builder and such. The first 10k miles on the new build was regular 10w40 and then the engine was flushed and I put in this oil. I do it once a year in the Spring, doesn't burn a drop all year while I only put a couple of thousand miles on her annually.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I usually use Rotella,but this time I am going to use Pennzoil high mileage to see how my truck does on it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I use snake oil in all my vehicles :D

Why??? It was on sale.

From what I've seen on vehicles that run it, Its pure Junk 2500 and you need to getting ready to change it..

It also used to be really bad about Sludge; maybe they've fixed that issue but its not worth the risk to me... (also its the standard oil for Walmarts TLE and mini other quick oil change places)

When I was young I ran Skelly Heavy Duty Tagolene 30 in everything. Tried (and liked) Texaco Ursa 15/40, Rotella 15/40, liked most weights of Havolene, refuse to use Quaker or Pennz........

Now I use Royal Purple in the recommended weight in everything......Park Ave, Deville, Expedition, F250 & F550, Honda lawnmower, etc. NO PROBLEMS.

I am also a firm believer in the BG services, especially the transmission service.

Went on a shopping spree at O'reily tolday, I choose to get Motorcraft 10W-40 since there was a sale on it, 5 quarts and filter for 18 bucks plus I bought another quart because the manual said you'd need 6 if you change the filter. First time I've been to that O'reilys and the guy who helped us seemed smart and helpful. Also I got:
Oil pan
Funnel
Oil filter wrench
Oil cap plug valve
Can of Seafoam
Battery cable ends quick releases (Only 4 bucks on clearance and mine are corroded)
8 Motorcraft Copper plugs (Happened to be the same price as Autolites)
4ga jumper cables

I'm going to order some Ford Racing plug wires too.
HPIM1087.jpg

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Went on a shopping spree at O'reily tolday, I choose to get Motorcraft 10W-40 since there was a sale on it, 5 quarts and filter for 18 bucks plus I bought another quart because the manual said you'd need 6 if you change the filter. Also I got:
Oil pan
Funnel
Oil filter wrench
Oil cap plug valve
Can of Seafoam
Battery cable ends quick releases (Only 4 bucks on clearance and mine are corroded)
8 Motorcraft Copper plugs (Happened to be the same price as Autolites)
4ga jumper cables

I'm going to order some Ford Racing plug wires too.
HPIM1087.jpg

Good buy on your part. looks like I will need to hit up my local O'reilleys

Just ordered the 9mm Ford racing plug wires in blue from Summit, I think the next thing I'm going to do is get a MSD cap and rotor and coil but that'll be in a couple months.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Just ordered the 9mm Ford racing plug wires in blue from Summit, I think the next thing I'm going to do is get a MSD cap and rotor and coil but that'll be in a couple months.

You are aware that TMI can get you that stuff and he helps people out here?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I choose to get Motorcraft 10W-40 since there was a sale on it, 5 quarts and filter for 18 bucks plus I bought another quart because the manual said you'd need 6 if you change the filter.

Just an FYI...you can get 2 gallons of Rotella 15w-40 for $22 and a MC filter for $3. Can't say I know much about the MC oil, I'm sure it'll be just fine, just a heads up from someone that gets the most for his money. It only saves you a couple of bucks, but as noted, I'm a cheap bastard.

I forgot about Tim Meyer:hammer:, I'll have to hit him up on the MSD stuff.

Join the club...:headbang:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts