Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What is your truck worth?

I have a 76' 2wd with a replaced 302 and C6. I have spent about $7200 on it so far which includes the price of the truck. Other than the rear end, carpet, seat cover, and paint, everything else is new, rebuilt, or as good as. I thought I would tackle the body work and paint myself but after doing some math (Tools+Time+Supplies-Experience) I came to the conclusion that I'd be better off paying to have it done. I assume the work will cost around $5k for a respectable paint job so that means I'll have $12,200 not including a professional front end alignment that it needs, carpet, and seat reupholstered (approximately another $700). So my question is, is it worth it? I have tried to research the market but I've only found trucks that are on the low end and some that have frame off resto mods which of course are on the high end. So another question for those that don't mind sharing, how much do you have in yours and what do you think it would bring if you had to sell it tomorrow? Obviously you almost never get out what you put in it but it would be nice to be close if you had too...

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Mine is priceless. :D Rarely are these trucks considered investments. They are usually considered to be money pits. But if you enjoy the truck, then it is worth whatever you are willing to throw at it. I've got more money in the truck then I will ever get back out of it, and that is without body work/paint.

If someone offered me a stupid amount of money, I would probably sell it, but not until then.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Always figure if you can get 1/3 of what you have in to your truck, back out of it...you're doing pretty good. The way I look at it, I'd rather put 5, 10, 20k into one of these things, than put 20-60k into something new.

I agree with Doug and Ben, even with the poor gas mileage, you are ahead! ($50,000 buys a lot of gas) I bought my truck for $1800 and put in another $3000 (tires, exhaust, brakes, etc.)
Now I have a Solid, Safe, Reliable truck that I can fix and repair myself (if needed)

just needs a paint job.....:)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I don't think I would put a pile of $$ into one of these old trucks as a daily driver, I'd much prefer a new one.
I have no clue what I have into mine, I would guess at least 40k including the initial cost...and I have no intention of daily driving it or selling it.
It wouldn't surprise me if I was into mine for 70-80k when the smoke clears...how much could I get for it?...I don't have a clue.

I haven't sorted through all the receipts since I started working on my truck, but including the purchase price, I'd say I've got 18-20K into it. I believe that I could get 10-13K in my area.

I don't think I would put a pile of $$ into one of these old trucks as a daily driver, I'd much prefer a new one.
I have no clue what I have into mine, I would guess at least 40k including the initial cost...and I have no intention of daily driving it or selling it.
It wouldn't surprise me if I was into mine for 70-80k when the smoke clears...how much could I get for it?...I don't have a clue.

you just don't sell mint classic trucks like yours Duncan, they go to the grave with you.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
At this point in time,My reciepts go well into the high teens,and will go further to get it where i want it..I also have no intensions of selling or it being a daily driver or seeing abuse.In my case its about preserving the 79 model yr the last yr of the Dentside along with sentimental value which is priceless.But to answer your question if i had to part tommorro..No less than 12k at this point in time.

I appreciate all the responses, I feel better now... I also let me wife read them so I could prove either that I'm not crazy or at least not the only one...

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
A 73-79 Ford is not a great investment.

I have alot less into mine then most people here (I would say less then 3K including the price of the truck)....but it still needs some odds and ends, if i dont redo the body (which i use mine as a work truck and its still plenty nice enough for that) i might need to put a couple hundred bucks more into it and fix the body mount bushings and radius arm bushings. But all i have done to mine since ive had it is put an alternator and radiator in it and rebuild the carb.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I have probably 25K into mine and would be lucky to get 10-12K, but I knew that when I started.

That's right where I'm at too...and had it gone to a shop for the same amount of work my father and I did...it the cost would have probably doubled. 12k is the most I've ever been offered, but it's usually in the 8-10k range.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
I never attempted to keep track of what I spent on mine.

I did the same thing when I added onto my house.:headbang:

Documentation Mark ...My reciepts fall in to the details of what was done,along with backing up my word to those who assume..my Pics are just highlights of the work..not the details

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I have probably 25K into mine and would be lucky to get 10-12K, but I knew that when I started.

This is key (knowing) when dumping money into your vehicle.

Always figure if you can get 1/3 of what you have in to your truck, back out of it...you're doing pretty good. The way I look at it, I'd rather put 5, 10, 20k into one of these things, than put 20-60k into something new.

Although I haven't invested very much (other than the original cost, as I bought mine after it was completely restored - the only things I've done to it are a few personal preferences like new wheels and stuff), the previous owners gave me $60k in receipts of the entire build. Almost $15k in paint and motor alone. Pretty wild.

I also spoke to a few restoration experts (they say anyways) and they've said that if you can recover 50% of what you have in it for parts (NOT including your thousands of hours of labor) IN A GOOD ECONOMY, you're doing ok. In a bad economy, 25-30% as some have suggested already.

Cool thread.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I guess i'm not doing to bad i have about 6 grand into mine all together and have had offers of 6500 for it already lol.

That's pretty good considering how nice your truck looks. Mine really isn't that special, nothing that fancy, but paint/bodywork and motor alone was about 15K. The motor, I'm not that disappointed that it cost about 7K, but paint and body work made me a bit surprised. I couldn't believe it would cost about another 8K for not much bodywork and paint. But, that's what you get when someone else does that work for you and 8K really wasn't that bad compared to other places probably charging me about 10K for paint/bodywork. Outrageous, but that's the way it is. Paint and Bodywork is very expensive these days.

primetime

sawmill slave
If you are concerned about what your truck is worth, than quit right now. Sell the truck for what you can. If you build a truck (or a muscle car for that matter), to make money, then you will never build one.

That's pretty good considering how nice your truck looks. Mine really isn't that special, nothing that fancy, but paint/bodywork and motor alone was about 15K. The motor, I'm not that disappointed that it cost about 7K, but paint and body work made me a bit surprised. I couldn't believe it would cost about another 8K for not much bodywork and paint. But, that's what you get when someone else does that work for you and 8K really wasn't that bad compared to other places probably charging me about 10K for paint/bodywork. Outrageous, but that's the way it is. Paint and Bodywork is very expensive these days.

i dunno what youve spent but its worth it! you have best lookin reg cab on here!!!!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts