Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What is the reason for this?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Out of all the bumpsides Ive seen that aint fixed up every single one has this U and then numbers behind it. Mine has U 9,000 on the cowl. The rest of em that ive seen that have the numbers are all in the same place. I cant figure out what its for.
Heres the drivers side of it.
Trucks014.jpg

Heres the passenger side
Trucks010.jpg

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well not "Lumber" yard I mean any truck that a company or business owns has its own ID number..
I think that's all it is.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Hmm I dont think thats what this one is cause its been a farm truck its whole life. Ya think it might be a wieght rating? The other trucks ive seen it on have all been farm trucks as well.

Don't know what that is. :/
But does anybody remember there was a time when all the pickups were
getting GVW rating numbers painted on the sides of them. Not sure if that
was just AZ and NM doing that or what. :/

Alvin in AZ

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I thought that might have been what it was at first but the gross is 7700 for that one. Im thinkin it has somethin to do with farm trucks. Like an exception thing for registraion or somethin like that. The trucks I have seen it on have been farm trucks so thats why I think that it has somethin to do with that.

slmann

Charter Member
Festus, Mo.
I Im thinkin it has somethin to do with farm trucks. Like an exception thing for registraion or somethin like that. The trucks I have seen it on have been farm trucks so thats why I think that it has somethin to do with that.

I'm thinking along the same line there. Could be something only done in your state. Maybe a state agency could help answer your question.

It's a bit of history for your truck, will you keep it on there?

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
My thinking is it means Under 9000 lbs. Maybe a weight break for tag taxes or something.

RocketScience

Alleged Recruiter
I'm 99% positive that is a Utah GVW rating. I have seen other older trucks at car shows from Utah with this also, usually painted on. Although the truck was rated by Ford for only 7400 lbs. max GVW, it was not uncommon in 'farm country' to see them rated higher by their owners.

In MO. we used to have to have our names and the licensed GVW on the side of the truck for crossing weight scales. License were in 6,000 lbs. increments with local and beyond local designations. As an example, what you would see lettered on the side was maybe LGVW 6,000 or BLGVW 6,000. I always did and still today have 12,000 lb. to cover towing a boat.

BTW, the local designation was good for driving in a 25 mile radius from the registered address of the vehicle. All of the required lettering and stuff like that has pretty much gone by the wayside for pickups today.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah its gotta be one of the two either wieght or its a farm deal. Ill ask my uncle when I go out to moms next and see if he knows anything about em. Its painted on but the paint isnt very good and the drivers side is almost all gone. It acts more like pinstriping the way its peelin off. Thanks for all the input guys I really appreciate the help. Now that I think about it I think ill either repaint the numbers mself of ill go take it to a pinstriper and get it done.

Ford Truck Articles