Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What did you do to your Dent today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a mild draw to the right while driving so I took my 73' to and old guy in town that does alignments. He said that he could not get to my truck till next week but suggested that I flip the front wheels and see what happened. That it might correct the drift or indicate a tire issue rather than mechanical. I had that done and the drift to the right was nearly identical. Took my dent to Firestone where two guys worked on it. They said that the design of the front has a king pin setup and there is not much that can be done to align it but they did the best they could. Toe was perfect. It still drifted right some so using some lead I fabricated a weight that is attached to the left of the steering wheel. Now it tracks straight as an arrow! :)

What ever works!.....:rofl:

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
smiliewhathesaid

Most alignment shops these days probably don't have the equipment or know-how to align one of our trucks.

Ours tracks fine but the camber is off on one side. Just gotta rotate the tires a little more oftenYelloThumbUp

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Actually I made that one, glad you like it! Mocked it up out of wood first to get the shape of the parts right and then used that as a pattern for the aluminum. Rough cut with a jig saw then more shaping with a router and final finish with a LOT of sanding. And yes, I used the router on the aluminum.

I sprayed the bar with undercoating to give it some texture for better grip and keep it from being so hot in the summer or cold in the winter.

Right now it is attached to the pillar with screws but if they ever pull out, I'll put in nutserts. The screws I'm using now are temporary, gonna pick up some stainless the next time I think about it.:headbang:

That's cool.....it came out awesome....can't believe you literally just made that almost from scratch. I initially thought you bought them.

Did you just screw them into the metal on the inside of the cab?

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
That's cool.....it came out awesome....can't believe you literally just made that almost from scratch. I initially thought you bought them.

Did you just screw them into the metal on the inside of the cab?

Thanks!

Yes, I just pre-drilled the holes in the pillar and screwed it on. It feels very solid.

Went to salvage yard and picked up Booster, M/C, Bracket and pedal off a 1978 to add power brakes. No luck on power steering brackets, only had 2 73-79 trucks both were V8 and I need for 300/6.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Took the 77 out with the older boy yesterday and did some fishing with a buddy of mine......man, I know I've said it many, many times before, but I don't realize how much I miss driving that thing until I take it out again.....we had a blast and was able to stretch its legs for really the first time since coming out of winter storage this year.....drove perfect....wish I had gotten some pictures!

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Took the 77 out with the older boy yesterday and did some fishing with a buddy of mine......man, I know I've said it many, many times before, but I don't realize how much I miss driving that thing until I take it out again.....we had a blast and was able to stretch its legs for really the first time since coming out of winter storage this year.....drove perfect....wish I had gotten some pictures!

That's great to hear Ken! Smiles all around for sure hey! Family, fishing, friends and driving a classic Ford :)

Now go back and take some pic's, lol!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
^^^Ha! Will do, thanks!!!

Sent from my not-so-smart phone!

I removed the dash and found an old punch card taped to the back of it. Is there anyone that knows what it means?
punch_card.jpg

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
I read that those were used on the assembly line to report the status of the build on that particular vehicle but no clue why it was taped to the back of the dash. Custom order maybe?

I drove Ol' Smokey to the hospital so I could visit my mother-in-law. A lot of other friends and family members were also there. Stayed most of the day then drove the ten miles or so back home. It was a great evening, nice and cool. The engine just purred as we casually drove along and I had the windows down just letting the air blow in. Even though the reason for the visit made me sad, my dentside never missed a beat during the entire trip. :)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I drove Ol' Smokey to the hospital so I could visit my mother-in-law. A lot of other friends and family members were also there. Stayed most of the day then drove the ten miles or so back home. It was a great evening, nice and cool. The engine just purred as we casually drove along and I had the windows down just letting the air blow in. Even though the reason for the visit made me sad, my dentside never missed a beat during the entire trip. :)

I know THAT feeling! That's awesome!

Filled the bed with tree and hedge trimmings and drove Ol' Smoky to the landfill. I walked up to the window and the lady at the check-in office (cost me $9.00 for the load) said that she really liked my truck. She said that her husband has a 1978 sitting in the woods :)-() behind their home. She told me that the truck runs but needs some belts. I encouraged her to try to get her husband to get the truck out of the woods and fix it up as they are getting more and more collectible. She complimented me about how clean the truck looked and how quiet it sounded as it sat behind me just idling. "She is a true sweetheart" I said. I spent Labor Day weekend with in-laws in Griffen, Georgia. I saw quite a few dent-sides just sitting in old lots, yards and fields. One was even a short bed! Amazing how many are out there if you just look. :)

Last edited:

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
... I saw quite a few dent-sides just sitting in old lots, yards and fields. One was even a short bed! Amazing how many are out there if you just look. :)

My wife laughs at me because I can't stop looking for dents. Gotten really good at spotting them too.smilieFordlogo

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
My wife laughs at me because I can't stop looking for dents. Gotten really good at spotting them too.smilieFordlogo

They're super rare up here......so when one does come around, I notice it!

Went to practice today. Round trip of about 15 miles and I asked Gary's wife if he would take our photo with Ol' Smoky. I am the one on the left.:)

Attachments

• bros crow.jpg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Truck Articles