Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

what carb should i use?

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
i have a 1977 F-100 with a 302, edelbrock 289 series intake mild cam full length headers and i just dont know what carb i should use to get good power but still get decent gas milage?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
5-600 Vac secondary carb and how much you have your foot in it will have a lot to do with your fuel economy.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
good power and good gas mileage just doesnt goes in the same sentence .. but yeah an eddy 600 vac sec will be good :)

oh and welcome :D

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
does it matter what brand?

Not really..Holley and Edelbrock are the most common...there is Barry Grant (speed demon), Pro-Systems etc...comes down to what you want to spend and how comfortable you or your tuner is with a particular brand.

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
thats the reason i said decent...which means more than 5 miles to the gal

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
A quick calculation shows that a 302 running at 85% VE would require a 450CFM carb...at 100% VE it would be about 525 CFM...don't oversize the carb.

1977 ford f-100 style side
302 smallblock
c-4 tranny

1986 mustang gt

Welcome! :wavey:

I would agree with what is previously stated. No more than 600 or so.

Btw- ford doesnt classify engines by big block/small block. there are engine series. smiliehijacked

if you go 4bbl you should have a 4bbl intake and heads.

otherwise a 500cfm 2 bbl would be max.

it is the air and compression that makes power. the engine in stock form can only burn so much fuel

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
A smaller 4 barrel will keep the air/fuel velocity higher than a large 2 barrel...which will result in better atomization. Using a 4 barrel carb will not mean that you need 4 barrel heads....a 4 bbl 351 head would be nearly useless on a truck unless you are going to be turning 5000rpm+.

That's right, It depends on the application

2bbl = more torque at bottom end

4bbl = more HP at higher RPM

Hmmmm, What do you really want to do with this engine and/or willing to sacrifice ?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
How are you arriving at that conclusion Dennis?..specifically the more torque with a 2bbl part of that statement.

Last edited:

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
It may also be worth while to mention that a 500cfm 2bbl and a 500cfm 4bbl do not flow the same volume.

CFM is measured differently between 2bbl and 4bbl carbs...

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Probably from a U-haul truck...that would explain the govenor.

wildpony1986

Georgia Chapter member
Senoia
i have a new edelbrock 289 series 4bbl intake and it has 4bbl heads...thanks for the info

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts