Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What camshaft should i buy?

Well i been looking at a few different camshafts for my 429. Right now it has just a stock mellow cam in it i want to get the aggressive sound. But i want the aggressive sound without being to much so when i floor it it falls on its face. I was thinking maybe about a cam that kicks in around the 1000 rpm range?. I was debating on buying a full kit for it lifters push rods valve springs and maybe a roller rocker setup. The truck is going to be used for mainly daily driving i might do some truck pulling with it to. Basicly i want something that isn't going to compromise my low end power but i will get good mid range to. The motor wont be see much more than 5500 rpm. Eventually the motor is going to get some John Kaase p51 heads long tube headers. A 460 crank eagle rods and .30 over pistons so it will be a 466. I will be pushing out around 700 hp when its all said and done on 91 octane. This is what i currently have DOVE A block so its a 70 block with thick main webbings 2 bolt mains. It also has machined d3ve a2a heads that were ported at some time. I don't know all the info on this motor i'm not the one that rebuilt it it originally would have had 70 heads on it. And happy new year everyone!.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
im not into 429's or 460's..

call comp cams tell your setup.. they'll tell you what theyre suggestion is.. they already have done all the R&D on these setups.. ya dont have to be a test dummy

or you can probably call TMI and see what Tim says..

im not into 429's or 460's..

call comp cams tell your setup.. they'll tell you what theyre suggestion is.. they already have done all the R&D on these setups.. ya dont have to be a test dummy

or you can probably call TMI and see what Tim says..

I'd stay away from the Comp hotline and deal with builders that have real world experience. Comp can probably suggest something pretty close, but the majority of builds benefit from a custom grind, which won't hurt the wallet any more...

In addition to Chris' suggestion, Re-incarnation Automotive, RM Competiton, and B.F Evans Ford Parts are good places to call, as these guys specialize in the 385 series Ford.

Just install a MILD RV Cam

any camshaft maker will have the numbers for you

primetime

sawmill slave
About 12 years ago Car Craft magazine put together a 460. 8.8:1 comp, D0ve heads, roller rockers, Erson TQ40H cam, 220/228*@.050, .545" lift, Performer RPM, and headers. They claimed 430 hp, 490 ft/lb tq @ 3400 rpm on the down ward slope (because the dyno couldn`t hold it:rofl: ). I put this same engine together minus a half point of compression and the roller rockers. It was plenty snorty off idle. People who know the sounds liked it, and people who didn`t have a clue thought it didn`t run right.

If I was going to do it today, I would use a Lunati Voo Doo #10340702. It`s a 219/227*, .540"/.552", unit. 1400/5800 rpm. www.lunatipower.com if you are interested.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts